Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to break down and buy a tranny for my 01. I know it's going to cost $4,000+ but thats the price to play. Here's what I want to do with my truck:

40% empty daily driving, I always run a chip and never back down from a race.

50% towing, several different trailers average weight 10,000 but sometimes up to 18,000 (I know, buy a Pete)

10% compition, I want to pull in 8,000# class and I will drag race.

Right now I'm running the TST w/140hp but when I get the tranny I'll send it off to get the comp programming, 250hp. Thats probably as far as I'm going to go on a regular basis, it's not out of the question to be stacking something in th future, but not likely.

I see ATS's tranny is adjustable as far as shift firmness, that is appealing to me for the 40% daily driving part. I don't know anyone around Omaha that has either tranny or I would go for a ride and see if I liked it.

·
Registered
14,321 Posts
I have not had any experience with ATS, but i have had a lot with Suncoast and am very happy with Joe Webb's (suncoast) transmissions. My vote is Suncoast.

mike

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Joe seems to have the lead in R&D stuff.. Lots of neat stuff from him and you dont have to use a controllor. I have seen both fail under extreme use.. Never isntalled suncoast but have done ATS stuff....

Toss up either way I guess...

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
They both claim huge hp abilities... but both can be destroyed with those huge power levels.

I think the claims are a little excessive.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Don't know about the ATS but the Suncoast tranny still drives like it is stock. You wouldn't have a clue if you didn't know the tranny was done, other than when the converter locks up it feels firm, something the stock tranny never did .Rolling in 5th and hammer it, is truely awesome and something i could not do on my old tranny for sometime, without limp or zing. With what i am running(see sig,), from a stop, rubber in 1st, 2nd and chirp in 3rd, if rolling 20mph hammer down she'll bust loose and lay some rubber.

As far as monster power and using or should i say abusing your truck in truck pulls/1/4 mile runs, both have had to do some homework. Seems like it is all ironed out know and hopefully they've got these things bullet proof.

Suncoast has been top notch in my books as far as service and calling back promptly. I am glad that i made the drive to get Suncoast to install the tranny, 1- to make sure they were the last ones in there incase problem arises, 2- i like to meet who i am dealing with when putting that much $$$ down and so far away.

Tomac seems to be doing pretty well with his ATS and putting down some good times, likewise with one of our members here (name witheld) has a Suncoast and is putting down equal or better times.

Both companies seem to be a great choice. Best bet is too listen too our trials and tribulations and give either company a call and see what you get out of all of this. Definetely a tough decision.

I will say this, if your going to the power levels that i am at and several others here, the stock converter will not hold. First hand(was driving) from a buddy that did his clutches, but not the converter. Tranny was fine with 120pred stacked with 145 edge, but when 215 quad was inserted instead of the pred. bad news can't handle it.

My vote goes to Suncoast from my experience and information. Biased answer yes, but thats pretty much all your gonna get with guys that have done there tranny, of course there gonna stick with what they bought. Good luck deciding.
Later Jeremy

·
Registered
909 Posts
I just can't imagine how any of these aftermarket auto trannys are holding up to 1/4 mile starts at 10+ pounds of boost. That has to be the ultimate auto tranny torture!

Edited by: Ray403Dmax

·
Registered
408 Posts
Is There Any Way The Dealer Can Tell You Have Suncoast or ats Installed With There Tech 2 Or Any Other Way?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Can't speak for the ATS but, so far what I've witnessed with the Suncoast isn't too impressive when it comes to the product or the service.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I like hearing all the "I have seen it with my own eyes"....."seen it for myself"....."from what I've seen"............

.....ALL DONE OVER THE PHONE.....

sometimes it is a real treat to read these forums......

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Ow Weeeeeeeee ......

Man you guys aint got the nuts ..... Hold on I Gotta go check my messages ....

I've "seen" to much ....

He heeeee eeeee

Mac

Have a warning for you thrill seekers .... If you leave you stuff unattended for a period of time ,don't leave them Cooler line clips behind .... Cost ya 40 bucks a pop .... Aint that kick in the Ass crack ....Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
C'mon, a lot of you guys that have trannys sure arent speakin up much, tell us about your experiences, thoughts, likes/dislikes, give us your opinions, everyone wants to give opinions, go for it.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Well I got mine updated to the new level 5 on wednesday. 22k miles without a noticiable slip or zing. Mine was the first sold and and still had some of the prototype parts and a 150 psi torque convertor valve. Its now been upgraded to the 190 psi valve and the new c1 piston assembly along with a new style c2 and c3(the first by the way) The install took about 6 hours and along the way they welded a bung for my attitude post turbo and installed a new rear diff cover. Great guys Thanks Joe, Ron, Mrs Webb and everyone for the hospitality. The tranny is still in fast learn but shifts have settled right back the way they were before the update.
The bad news is that on my way from Ft Walton to Seaside a 20 yearold with a camry smashed my front passenger side door(she changed lanes without looking)Fortunately no one was hurt

Still at the beach fished with my brother and swam in the gulf with the kids today 80 degrees.....a trip to suncoast can be great family getaway to the most beautiful beaches in the USA
Edited by: sdaver

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I race something or someone every day
8.39 in the 1/[email protected] day and drag racing at Suncoast open house on the 17th of Januanry

·
Registered
915 Posts
I had the triple disc, transgo, and new clutches installed at suncoast.. My tranny sometimes shifts ok, though most of the time it shifts like you're speedshiftng a stick shift... Revs and then catches... Anyone else have these problems?? Joe and the staff were all "very" nice to deal with.. I told him of the problem as soon as I arrived home.. He told me next time I was up that way, he'd take care of it.. By the way, I think I have the slowest dmax with the tranny upgrade.. You all tell me... My best time is 14.45 in 2wd running the 35's.. horrible 60's were due to wheel spin.. In the 2.2's... The truck ran 14.51 with 39's before the tranny upgrade.. What do you all think of this... Best time only dropped 6 hundreths..

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
39's might have something to do with it being alittle slow........215/comp is faster than anything with a predator in it

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Morse, try runnin the 39's in 2 wheel, might hook better or run 4 wheel with the 35's. Your truck is heavier and bucks more wind also.

Diesels Forever, check out the PPE kit, its a ATS converter and transgo+c2&c3's. It has a pretty good hp rating also. check out their website. pacificp.com

1 - 20 of 26 Posts