Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys new to the site.

Just picked up an 04 with the LB7. It came with hypertech programmer which i have been told is a conservative programmer that hopefully will not eat my transmission with no upgrades. I was thinking of doing a few other mods. Here is what i had in mind.

Intake: AFE stage 2

Exhaust: 5 in MBRP

Gauges: Pillar mounted mechanical or some kind of a monitor?????????

Any disagreements or suggestions of other things would be greatly appreciated. Also where is the best place to buy with the best prices??

Thanx

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
forget the intake for the time being. you wont see any difference with it. i would definitely do gauges and then possibly exhaust. gauges are most important. kennedydiesel.com has guages and exhaust. just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I did the AFE Stage 2 first and noticed better throttle response. Then did the Edge EZ. Big difference there. I've been running level 3 since. Then I did the Kennedy 4" exhaust which really let it all work together. Kennedy will say that there is no real power gain going with the 5" exhaust over the 4". Looks nice though. Read up on exhaust. Quite a few have complained about droning. The Kennedy I have has a pretty deep rumble but no droning. The engine also runs better and better as it gets some miles on it. Mileage has been improving also. Now getting 17.5 back and forth to work in Seattle traffic. 62,000 miles now.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
The intake is really not worth it, you are going to just be sucking more dirt into the motor. The best thing you can do is add a little programer which it looks like you have done and put an exhaust on it.

Bentley

·
Registered
90 Posts
yeah i wouldnt worry about the intake too much, get the exhaust and that lil hand tuner

02 dmax bullydog power pup
banks 6 gun
4" exhaust
a pillar mounted turbo boost and egt gauges

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
First, find out what levels the hypertech has and what level is loaded in to the truck. Then keep it under the 80rwhp.
Gauges, Exhaust 4"

·
Registered
199 Posts
now ive heard from a few people around here there's no big difference in moving up to a 5" from a 4" unless ur doing major motor mods. but to save wear and tear stay with a small tuner, and exhaust for now. the simple results will impress you.

·
Registered
59 Posts
the 5'' for sure will sound wild!!! 4 inch sounds good aswell ...now im seing everyone say forget the intake for now?? well putting any tuner on your truck is going to change your tuning more fuel right...i think you might want to get a little bit more air to go with that fuel...everything works as a circuit it all has to work together in order to produce power....if not u midas well take off your turbo too....think about porting your heads on a 350 chevy and leaving the intake the way it is....sure your head ports are bigger but your air restriction is in the manifold now.....point being i love my stg 2 intake and together with other mods it has proven itself on the dyno many times...just my opinions/expeiriences thanks

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
BlueDura;1618135; said:
the 5'' for sure will sound wild!!! 4 inch sounds good aswell ...now im seing everyone say forget the intake for now?? well putting any tuner on your truck is going to change your tuning more fuel right...i think you might want to get a little bit more air to go with that fuel...everything works as a circuit it all has to work together in order to produce power....if not u midas well take off your turbo too....think about porting your heads on a 350 chevy and leaving the intake the way it is....sure your head ports are bigger but your air restriction is in the manifold now.....point being i love my stg 2 intake and together with other mods it has proven itself on the dyno many times...just my opinions/expeiriences thanks

if hes only running hypertech, then it should be fine with the stock intake. hypertechs dont burn "hot" enough and egts will stay in reason. if he was running something like a ppe or van aken, then he might want to upgrade, but for now it should burn efficiently enough. if he does some searching, he will quite a few people that went back to stock intakes b/c they didnt see a difference(noticeable).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.