Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the appropriate forum for this so someone please re-direct me if I am in error.

My 95 suburban has a shimmy at 70-75 mph. The shop balanced the tires but it still has the problem. Has anyone else experienced this with the burb and if so what was the problem? I am wondering if it is driveshaft balance.

I put the car in neutral at 75 and the vibration continues so I don't think it's engine or trans. related.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Thanks to the guys here I think I traced mine to the intermedite shaft going to the front axle. The rear u-joint is gone on it. I am currently soaking the shaft spline joint as much as possible with PB Blaster so I can get the shaft to collapse to get it out. Check your shaft right under the driver's feet. I'll bet you have the same problem.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Front suspension? ball joints, tie rods etc? They're certainly worth a quick check at least.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Do you have stock wheels? If you find nothing else, as a last resort, you can have the tire guy "match balance" the wheels and tires. That will quickly locate an out of round tire.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
internet diagnostics are a little tough because of the terminology we need to use.

Is it side to side shimmy that you feel in the steering wheel? (check ball joints, tie rods and wheel bearings)

Does it feel like thumping or wheel hop? (out of round tire, out of balance? try moving front tires to rear, does problem persist?)

Is it a constant vibration that peaks at 70 mph? Do you hear or feel anything at lower speeds? (check axle shafts)

I recommend doing a good inspection of all front end components. Use a pry bar to check for play at ball joints and tie rods. (wiggling with your hands tells you nothing)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the responses.

More clarification:
2wd suburban so no intermediate shaft.

Vibration starts around 70 mph but not before that. I am not sure how to tell if the vibration is side to side or not.

Steering wheel vibration is barely noticable but I mostly notice it in the front seats. Not sure if the vibration is in the rear seats so I will have to ask next time I have passengers.

·
Registered
56 Posts
took me forever and finally I had my driveshaft balanced and found out the new u-joints I had in it was not precise enough so u-joints was the fix.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK one more clue I forgot to mention(sorry).

The vibration gets worse as the truck warms up. When I first get underway the vibration is almost unnoticable. Does that still fit the U-joint theory?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would say very possible, but I can definitly say that u-joints will be one of your cheaper fixes try them first just make sure you buy high quality joints.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Might also be a problem with a tire. If the tread or belt seperate internally in the tire it will cause a shake that only gets worse with higher speed, and could be effected by heat as the tire warms up. I would try rotating the tires and see if the shake moves with the rotation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts