Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if y'all think this makes sense or if you think I'm nuts.

I currently own a 2006 Avalanche WBH, which is not a diesel unfortunately. :( As much as I'd love to have gotten a diesel in the truck there's only one I know of in the US. It is listed here: http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,75042.0.html

In any case, I'm thinking of also getting a Suburban, but I really don't want a gasser. I know I can't fit a duramax in a 'burb, but was thinking about the > '99 models with the 6.5L.

I was just reading in Diesel Power magazine how they are doing a swap of a Blazer to a new AM General 6500 http://www.optimizer6500.com/ and was wondering if this might be not a bad idea.

In other words, take a '99 or '00 suburban and put a new 6.5L engine in. Would there be any benefit over just buying a '99/'00 2500 with the 6.5L?

I'm also thinking - as a long term project - of buying a '70s or '80s - era Jeep CJ or Wrangler and putting a 6.5L engine in. That - in my mind - would be a cool project truck for the kids.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
the optimizer is a redesigned version of the 6.5. It's way better. The supercharged version is putting out something like 330 horsepower. They're probably expensive too. I know I sent an email to AM general on price and didn't hear back.:rolleyes:

You might also consider a 5.9 cummins for the 'burb. It would be a lot of fab work. A supercharged optimizer would put the cummins in it's place, but if you're up to doing the work, the 5.9 in a sub is a sweet setup.

A 4BT cummins would be a perfect motor for the jeep. It's basically a 5.9 missing 2 cylenders. With tweaking it can be a 300HP 30MPG engine.

·
Banned
9,366 Posts
I agree it sounds like a tougher engine, but as far as HP,

(from their website)
Horsepower:

190 @ 3400 rpm-T
205 @ 3200 rpm-T
160 @ 3400 rpm-T
Torque:

440/380 @ 1800 rpm-T
290 @ 1800 rpm-N.A.

Sweet idea, though... we need to learn a bit more about his one, methinks.

They probably figure if we have to ask how much it costs, we probably can't afford it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both. Interesting reading.

I'm just - well - torn as to what should be the course. :p:

As for the Cummins in the Jeep, I read about that a few months back in Diesel Power as well. Someone took a Cummins 3.9L (basically a 5.9 with the two extra cylinders chopped off - similar to a 4.3L and 5.7L relationship) and inserted into a Wrangler: http://www.dieselpowermag.com/features/trucks/0610dp_1993_jeep_wrangler_diesel/

I'll keep thinking about it. Still curious about the 6.5 in a Suburban tho'.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Seems like too much work to buy a gas powered sub and convert it to diesel when you can buy a diesel sub.

Then if you want to change the motor just swap it out.

Why would you start with a gas burner? Price is not the issue with the conversion route your gonna spend way more money.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DavidPhillips;1578381; said:
Seems like too much work to buy a gas powered sub and convert it to diesel when you can buy a diesel sub.

Then if you want to change the motor just swap it out.

Why would you start with a gas burner? Price is not the issue with the conversion route your gonna spend way more money.
Probably a valid point. I was just thinking that - if I were to swap - I'd start with a very high mileage gas burner, but you're probably right. Why bother?

I just notice that diesel Suburbans (Chevy and GMC) are very seldom listed online.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts