Diesel Place banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple questions for the Sub' guys here:

I've seen a lot of folks upgrading their exhaust with a Diamond Eye kit... is that available only with a muffler or did anyone opt for no muffler? How loud is the muffler version?

This is my next big upgrade for my rig.

Also... I see a couple of you guys note your Suburban as a C2500 model... I thought all these 3/4 ton Sub's were the K2500 designation. Can someone explain?

Well, sure glad to have a couple folks who are Sub guys to speak with more directly here.

Thanks!

·
Registered
908 Posts
Hello TC, the DE is a very good system fairly cheap and an easy install. I have a muffler and think it sounds great others straight pipe and love it as well. Some that have straight piped it have said that it is very loud in cab at highway speeds. If you search in the site uiubwill find a lot of opinions. I guess it all boils down to what kind if sound you are looking for.

The C/K designates if your truck is a 2x4 or 4x4.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah... gotcha... that "C" kept throwing me off but it makes sense - I mainly associate the "C" with the 2wd pick ups.

I also really like your Sub' with the lift... I just picked up a lift (2.5") for mine but my first attempt to pull the torsion bars out of the keys didn't work. So I dug around on here and found some great ideas to get them to separate.

Thanks for the info on the Diamond Eye... I think I'll opt for the muffler ver. We do use my Sub' a lot for family trips and it's loud enough as it is!

·
Registered
908 Posts
Sounds good, the lift install for the 2 wheel drives is pretty straight forward ( no torsion bars to deal with). You will like the lift it evens the length of the Burb out!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Because I'm poor I have 3" pipe from down pipe to the back and nothing in between and it sounds great, I have just enough rumble in the cab at any speed to hear it's still running.
Step on it and it scares the crap out of people!
But I have read it can be quite loud with the straight 4" in the cab.

Wife likes the rumble too!, just can't get her to agree with lifting the truck or a nv4500 conversion since she in 4'9" and can't drive stick!

·
Registered
908 Posts
I would love to have straight pipe it but had to comprimise with the wife!!:). My wife can drive stick just can't get her on board with the cost$$. Just get her a Small step stool and keep it in the Burb, problem solved. Haha!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Told her I'd build her a loading dock the length of the burb so the kids could get in too:hehe:
Didn't go over to well:whistle:

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would love to have straight pipe it but had to comprimise with the wife!!:). My wife can drive stick just can't get her on board with the cost$$. Just get her a Small step stool and keep it in the Burb, problem solved. Haha!
You thinking about a manual transmission swap? I'd love to have a manual tranny in my rig'.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all... looks like I'll be getting the 4" kit from Diamond Eye soon. I'll probably get the one with the muffler.

Aaaaaaand, looks like I'll be doing the work myself... local shop says they don't want to do the work. FINE! I'll keep my money. What a bunch of schmucks.

·
Whistle Pigs Are Cool
2,478 Posts
I have found that wagons, Suburban included, have more interior space and can become a noise chamber. So, one mans 'burb drone can be some others wicked pissha sound.
I found that my K2500 with DE mufflered 4" has a bit of a 'drone' to me and my damaged hearing. I installed a turndown tip and that helped a bit.
I will install some type of sound deadening under the carpet mat like Boom/Dyno/etc.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Guy i know got a huge 4" glass pack off ebay mounted that to the diamond eye kit and it sounds crazy i like it but my truck is daily driver and i just wanted performance so i did diamond eye 4" mufflered and i really like it when you lay into it the sounds is nice when cruising it is much quieter. Me and a neighbor and a case of beer did the removal and new exhaust install in about 4hrs taking our time drinking laughing and no stress. I unbolted everything. Then i used a saw zaw to cut it all into easy to remove pieces. Installed down pipe first dry fit it all and welded it up really easy job if i had a lift it woulda been 1-1/2hrs start to finish

·
Registered
819 Posts
Be sure you get the cross over tube from heath or other vendors that already have the spot to install exhaust gas temperature sensor in it so you dont have to drill hole weld thread and worry about having it sealed right later. Similar price as diamond eyes i believe but saves time and money later

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.