Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 suburban 2500 with 8.1. Would like to know if it is possible to swap a duramax without a body lift? Everything I am reading says lift is needed for allison transmission is is it possible to leave the 4l85e and just swap motors to keep from lifting the burb? Would a built 4l85e be able to handle a stock durmax for towing?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a 2005 suburban 2500 with 8.1. Would like to know if it is possible to swap a duramax without a body lift? Everything I am reading says lift is needed for allison transmission is is it possible to leave the 4l85e and just swap motors to keep from lifting the burb? Would a built 4l85e be able to handle a stock durmax for towing?
The body lift is not due to the trans, its for the intercooler. The body lift is not that big of a deal. You could do a 2” front lift, and taper to 0” at the back. Thats how mine is.

The 4l85e might last for a little bit but honestly, the gearing in the Allison was specific to the Duramax power band. Don’t waste the time or money on a 4l85e to avoid the front body lift.

FYI the 2500HD/3500 trucks of that generation (GMT-800) all came with 2” body lifts from the factory. It’s really not all that bad.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Administrator
18,021 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace
I agree the Allison would be the better choice to run with the Dmax

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok well found a deal on a 2003 lbz says gmc yukon xl but body is rusty could u just swap bodys and computers?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wife doesn't like the body lift she got scared when we went to Florida to look at one she found got there and it was 8" lift with 35" tires she couldn't get in lol 1800 miles to see the beach and drive home lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It would be a 2003 lbz yukon mine is 2005 suburban 8.1 rembered something was differnt on wiring not sure what all electronics would need to swap?

·
Registered
65 Posts
You could do a body swap 03-06 should be identical. If the body is rusty, is check the frame. Who did the conversion on the 03? Inspect it carefully there’s a few floating around out there that cut some corners. Just make sure it was done correctly.
As an example I’ve got 58k miles on mine since the swap with only a leaky lower radiator hose to deal with. Do it right and it will treat you very well for a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
65 Posts
As a reference the first pic is pre conversion.

This second one is after the conversion with the 2” body lift.

As you can see, it’s very minimal and nearly impossible to notice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: sportsman7
1 - 9 of 9 Posts