Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate the way our trucks indicate when you are in 4X4. My old Toyota had a BIG 4X4 right on the instrument panel and when you were locked in you knew it!

I put my truck into 4X4 to pull out a trailer (12,000 lbs). I then forgot about it and proceeded to tow it down the freeway at about 65 mph for almost 70 miles! I feel VERY stupid!!!! Have I potentially ruined anything (drivetrain, tranny, transfer case, diffs)?

Boy do I feel dumb!:eek::

·
Registered
866 Posts
I believe Max Power figured out a way to illuminate the 4x4 light on the electrically-activated models. it normally only illuminates on manual-shift models.

Mine, for some reason, is electrically-activated AND illuminates the light! My truck is unique in that respect.

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
You probably put more extra wear on your tires than the drivetrain. I wouldn't worry too much, but if you haven't changed the driveline fluids lately, now would be a good time... just for insurance and peace of mind.
Oh, and you should probably have heard it... Don't feel too bad though, my wife once drove her Tahoe 15 mi in 4 lo because she thought I said that instead of 4 hi. Ouch! She couldn't figure out why it was so slow and noisy!:mad:

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I will try the mod.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
i once went appox 300 miles doing 100 mph thought my truck was slow
and just kept the pedal to the floor got off the highway and realized i was in 4hi .....but i think the tires took the brunt of it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts