Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was extremly tired. I put my card in the pump and turned around and open the fuel cap turned beck around, grabbed the hose and started pumping. Three miles down the road the Dmax sounded funny when I accelerated then it sounded OK. When I accelerated again, same noise, loss of power. Grabbed the receipt and looked and it said UNLEADED. Pulled over immediatley!! Siphoned everything out, pumped diesel into the lines, new filter, pumped diesel into the injector lines and fired 'er up. Runs fine. Total driving distance, 7 miles. Pumped 24 gals of gas in diesel after working with diesels for 30 years (driving tractors, combines, trucks). Any opinion on whether I did any damage or not? Truck seems fine.

Thanks,

Monte

·
Registered
233 Posts
S**t happens I wouldn't worry too much about it. Sounds like you caught it in time as well as doing all the right stuff. Had almost the same thing happen to me last year while an vacation. Had to drain the tank change the filter and she fired right up. When I first bought the truck the service manager had told me if this happened, what steps I should take to prevent any damage.( Exactly what you described). He also said they had drained a few Dmax's after guys had driven them full of unleaded and caused no long term damage other than to their pride

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. The bad thing was, we were about 100 miles from home. We ended up going to WallyWorld and buying 8 five gallon gas cans. 7 for the gas and 1 for getting diesel. Sure felt like a fool. Had to do all of this in an Arby's parking lot no less!!

·
Registered
511 Posts
This has happened many times; In fact my father in law did it too. He actually ran the whole tank!!!!!! That was around about 30K on the truck and its over 60K now with no problems.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I've been told pure unleaded gas won't HURT a diesel engine, it just won't RUN on gasoline. After you pump it out, replace the filter, fill with clean diesel you should be fine. I accidently did the same thing last month. I was at a BP (green handles) and pumped 1 gallon of unleaded before I realized what I was doing. I panicked, but pumped in 23 gallons of diesel and said a prayer. I ran home jumped on the internet and read EVERY diesel forumn I could fine on this subject. 99.9% said don't worry about it, it will be fine. I felt much better and my truck runs as good as ever. Edited by: packfan

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've got a buddy that runs about a quart of unleaded in every third tank, says its the best lubrication you can get and he's never had a problem. I think I'll just sick to Primrose though.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
That doesn't make any sense. Diesel fuel has way more lubrication then Gas.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Tony:
Don't get me to lying. I said the same thing. He just gave the old been doing it for years thing and never had a problem. But i'm still sticking with Prim 405

BruceEdited by: ntnbolt1

·
Registered
242 Posts
I certain unleaded gas would hurt lubrication properties of diesel.

Anyway, I've read trucker up north add up to 10% unleaded gas to diesel fuel in the winter time for improved cold weather starting and operation.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
I smoked for 10 years and never had a problem either. But I guarantee it did me more harm then good.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all of the replys. I don't feel so alone anymore. Like I said, I was worried about do damage to the Dmax, but it doesn't sound like there will be a problem. By the way, I'll stick to pure diesel also. I've been known to put a little diesel in gas but I don't think it's a good idea to put gas into a diesel.

Monte

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Max Power said:
I smoked for 10 years and never had a problem either. But I guarantee it did me more harm then good.
Not to mention the other stuff we did.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
ntnbolt1 said:
I've got a buddy that runs about a quart of unleaded in every third tank, says its the best lubrication you can get and he's never had a problem. I think I'll just sick to Primrose though.

I have always used Gas to clean tools, parts and what not when I need to get grease and oil off of them. It seemed like gas cut right through it. So I don`t understand how someone would thing gas was a good lubricant. But like they say; To each his own!

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
heard of lots of people doing that, get it out and change the filters... forget about it. More important things to worry about

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Guilty myself of the dumba$$ stunt! 16,000 later no issues. It still hurt the pocket book and pride to have the Goodwrench boys in UT giggle at me for pushing th wrong button on the pump. I had the green handle in the truck but pushed the unleaded button (same price, hence the mistake on my part). Poured out the two filters added diesel and continued on to ID for an elk hunt. No problems.

·
Registered
958 Posts
packfan said:
Anyway, I've read trucker up north add up to 10% unleaded gas to diesel fuel in the winter time for improved cold weather starting and operation.

Gas no, but kerosene yes.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
I haven`t done it. Yet that is, and I hope I never do.

But there has been a couple times where I got that queesy feeling while filling up, and at near pantic I looked at the pump and then hose a couple times before I felt at ease. It can make you feel sick just the thought of screwing up like that.

·
Registered
130 Posts
i am guilty here too. Only about $.10 worth. You go to watch those BP stations with their green handles.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I did the reverse and put a couple gallons of diesel in my Goldwing. Ran rough and smoked like crazy. Finally figured out what happened and drained the tank. Doesn't pay to get in a hurry late at night. Well, maybe sometimes.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Camstyn said:
packfan said:

Gas no, but kerosene yes.

Actually when I couldn't find Kerosene I used to put gas in my VW diesel in winter all the time. Owners manual allowed up to a 25% mix IIRC. Low pressure injection system also, wouldn't do it in a common rail.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts