Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tire psi.Confused?New truck and just checked the tire psi,rear tires 80psi,checked front reads 55psi.Tires say on sidewall max psi 80 but why is there such a big difference between the front and rear psi. Did the dealer set it up this way for a reason?What should the psi be set at, all the way around?? Use to be tires said cold psi and then max psi but all i can find on these tires is max psi?? Anybody,BILL

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Tires are load range E and are at best load carrying capacity at 80 psi. However, the truck is only 7000 lbs (give or take - you need to fill in your signature so people will know what year and type of truck you have). 80 psi empty is way too much inflation and will "crown" your tires very quickly. Early on, many dealers were setting the fronts at 45 psi for "drive comfort" that ATE THEM UP with the weight of the diesel engine. After 119,000 miles and three sets of tires on my shortbed extended cab 2500, I run 55 front and 45 rear unloaded. I air the rears up according to load and take them back down when empty.

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
First, hi and welcome.
Second, hide your wallet- we'll get you in trouble here.
Third, fill out your sig. so we know what truck we are talking about.

Good rule of thumb, max psi (80) while towing, and 50 - 65 cruising town for a softer ride. I tow off and on alot, so I just leave mine at max pressure the ride is fine.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tired doing the garage set up but had some problems.I'll try again.If I run 55psi on all 4's would that be a good place to start?My truck is a 2500HD ext cab,duramax LBZ 6.6.Thanks for your help.

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
Just go to 'user CP' at the top of the page, then click on 'edit signiture'.

55 is a good starting point, I usually set customers HD's at 55 for a good allaround feel.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just did and still it would not take(work.

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
:mad:

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
:) works now

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now if i can figure out why it tells me my pic's are to big I'll be done.Works fine on other web sites.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
There is a file size limit (can't remember the exact limit wanna say 5mb though
) AND a pixel size limit (think it 800x600).

Need to resize your pics to the required limits. It should tell you what is too big.

IF you don't have a special picture editing software, just use MS Paint to shrink the picture.

C-ya

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now have a pic in my garage! Now how do you go about getting a pic when you post? Neve mind,I got it.Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Tire psi.Confused?New truck and just checked the tire psi,rear tires 80psi,checked front reads 55psi.Tires say on sidewall max psi 80 but why is there such a big difference between the front and rear psi. Did the dealer set it up this way for a reason?What should the psi be set at, all the way around?? Use to be tires said cold psi and then max psi but all i can find on these tires is max psi?? Anybody,BILL
If you look at the tag on the door jam on the driver side you will find that it gives you the psi.'s for the 245/75r 16 tires that came with your truck. What I did was check the temp. of the tires on the sides and middle of the tires after driving and add or remove air till the temp was as close as the same then let them cool and check the psi. than drive it agian and check the temp. and if the same that is how much air you need in your tires to get the best traction and ware from your tires.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts