Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up the truck from the dealers. They replaced the Delco with another Delco. Drivers side battery was weeping at the top seams. Lots of corrossion in the battery tray and down the inner fender panel (rubber/plastic).

They cleaned it all up nice and painted the battery tray. Now I can go get 2 new optima's and use the new Delco I just got for free to power my trailer winch. 33K still in warranty, the service writer says "you know it's 36K or 3 years" "how long have you had the truck?" I told him I hoped he could ask me the same question in 10 years!!!

I told him I wanted to bring the truck back in a month or so before it goes out of warranty and have them check it all out.......are you sitting down.....

The reply was "we don't go looking for Warranty work" we will fix anything that is wrong, but you have to tell us what the problem is"

Guess I will have to take it in with one of those "intermittant" problems LOL

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just found a leak under the passenger fender on my 02 and yes it is a leaking battery. Hope it hasn't eaten to much good stuff away.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I've had a number of delco batteries over the years with no leaks, but I've seen enough recent posts to convince me I should watch for a problem. Where do the batteries leak, at the sideposts? I've looked at my batteries, and they have a cover around them, making it difficult to see leakage. Whats the best way to watch these animals?

·
Registered
403 Posts
I lost the drivers side battery at 35,000.... spewed all over the tray. The dealer was kind enough to replace both batteries.

Roegs,

You should be able to see the acid on the side of the battery casing if it's leaking. I only began to look when the batteries wouldn't hold a charge. Edited by: Blinky

·
Registered
2 Posts
Battery leak is on the passenger side at the top of the battery and near the edge. there is a seam there.

·
Registered
106 Posts
hello all

I hate the delco's real bad.. It can do some real damage in time.. optima's batterys are the way to go in our diesel rigs Great batterys very hard to kill them.. Got them in our boats and every fleet truck and our personal toys..I have lots of delco's for sale ..

From steve
Fleet owner

Edited by: smartfix

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Yellow tops all the way cost me 150 each but well worth it. Pass was leaking and I pitched both of them to the pallet. let the interstate man deal with them leaking pieces of crap. only 13k and bout 16 months on the rig.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hello all

I back you 100% Lots of people dont know about high end batterys.. We have yellow tops on Every thing like you.. Our local Optima Dealer loves us.. Blues on our boats..

It's very had for lots of people to spend big dollars on batterys Most people think all batterys are the same but there not As you know the yellow tops have 1/4 inch plates
They hold up in the dead of heat in the summer in FL.. And in upstate Ny where the other rigs are they start all the time at -15 The batterys never frezz because they cant

Sorry to go on ..

From steve

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
I had one go too at about 40,000 miles. Thankfully the dealer cleaned up and repainted the tray.

Had others go the same way on other vehicles I've owned.

I can't for the life of me figure out why AC Delco is continuing to produce junk like that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I, noticed the dreaded white corrision trail around my triple shock mount at the passenger side frame location. Need to pull that pass battery to see if its coming from there (problably is). Can you guy's tell me what that passenger battery is powering, or is it just hooked up in series with the other battery?

·
Registered
89 Posts
The passenger side battery is hooked up parallel to the drivers side battery [ basically making one larger 12v battery ].

Series wiring: pos to neg between batteries ( ups the voltage )

Parallel wiring: pos to pos between the batteries ( ups the amperage )

Joe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts