Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i was wondering on the effects of putting on a stud girdle if the block is cracked. Is it feasable? I've been oblivious about my coolant resivoir and the common block crack failures, ive put about 25000km on my truck since i bought it used at 160,000kms and its used just over a gallon and a bit(bit cuz its just under cold line when runing, havnt topped up yet). Does that sound like she could be cracking or does dexcool burn/evaporate at a slow rate? Havent pulled the pan to see if they are there but wondering and worried, anyone else go thru a lil bit of coolant over the miles, she gets alotta mixed driving(highway empty, loaded w/5-12000lbs and mix of city), i warm the truck up good before i drive and also allow a cool down time between 3-30mins, depends when i remember to turn it off with remote. Does it sound like its time like everone else here in Alberta to put a new 6.5 into my new truck? :drinking:

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
There is a chance of a cracked block, but slow consumption like you describe sounds like you need to check the head gaskets first. ALso, there is a chance your 97 could have came stock with a 141(96 block) and not a 506. Check the casting numbers first to be certain, but the oil cooler lines is an indicator as to what came stock in it(1/2" lines=141 5/8" lines=506).

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
6.5's aren't my area, but I can tell you this.. a main stud girdle won't prevent a block from cracking..it only holds things together when it finally does crack.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
to check the head gaskets on a 6.5 diesel, what is the aproach for a compression tester? do i go thru the gp or inj port?done it on gas jobs before, very lil white smoke when started in the cold for a second or so then clears right up, figured that if it was in the heads maybe id see some white smoke

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm having the same issue as you 'manyholes'. I seem to lose about 2-3 quarts of coolant every 700 - 1000 miles. Doesn't seem to be real bad at that rate, but it has to be going somewhere huh?...Have yet to notice coolant in the oil, and I don't get any white smoke or sweet smell out of the exhaust. Is a possibility you could have a small radiator leak, pump leak, line leak, or about a dozen other leaks that don't leave puddles. I put 4 GM coolant sealant tabs in my system last week. I should know within the next 3 weeks or so if they have helped or not. On the bad side, I found out that the previous owner installed a Hypertech chip, which seems to cause excessively high EGT's and not know this, I am sure my heavy foot didn't help things out these past two months that I have owned the truck. I was also curious if anyone here has posted some pics of a head gasket change?

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
Mine loses coolant at a slow rate, started off at about 1/2 a gallon every month or so. It has now progressed to about 1 gallon a week. My problems started when I installed a hypertech chip and started hitting 1300 EGT pre-turbo. I would check your coolant tank to see if it loses the coolant out the overflow tube. My 6.5 passes all of the head gasket compression leak tests(no coolant smell and the hoses don't get hard quickly on cold start), but it will still have pressure in it after sitting overnight. But when you take it out and drive it get on it hard and then pull over and pop the hood, you'll see anti-freeze running down the fender from the coolant tanks overflow tube.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey dwayne sounds like the same boat only seems like your using more than mine, i forgot to mention that the truck gets it oil changed every 5000 km by a shop for warrenty b.s. and they've never seen coolant in it nor have i on the dipstick, no apparent moisture anywhere i can see, even felt around heater core, cant smell the coolant. does dexcool still have a sweet smell like that green antifreeze? no accumilation on the thermostat housing/ steel couplers. shooting in the dark here

my egts in town when i runn'r hard never hit over 800, ill top up and check over flow tube but never noticed moisture on the fender(evidence of antifreeze overflow) learnt that on some peterbuilts cabs when tracking a leak, seems like antifreeze almost leaves a noticable "diesel" like stain on the body

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
Your most likely losing coolant when it is hot, and hot coolant will evaporate very quickly. And I know on mine it leaves NO residue on the fender. But pop the hood right after a hard run and look, that will tell the story.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I am not sure about the dexcool. I use the standard green coolant. My radiator hose doesn't get hard on initial cold start up, I check it often, I have seen traces of coolant down the inner fenderwell, but not a great amount, I think is simply from where I fill my overflow tank all the way to the top as opposed to the lines mid point of the tank. The only think that seems to have and sludge in it at all is my CDR. It always seems to have sludge in it and also in the tube going to the turbo. I will normally take it off and clean it out. I change my own oil, so I keep a close watch on it when draining. I am goind to do an oil analysis this time though. The local oil refinery that I buy my oil from gave me a freebie analysis. Just got to send it in and get results back.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I noticed months ago mine was leaking out the overfill bottle after I had topped it up,(happened twice) I assumed it was too full and it puked it out once it got hot. I have not added any since, and the coolant level stays near the LOW level when cold. you could be doing the same thing, just make sure there is some in the bottle, just don't worry about it being "FULL" and see what happens
Now this won't hold true if your adding a gallon at a time, or the bottle is totally empty every time you check it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Is never totally empty. I normally won't add till I see the coolant low light. And normally when this light comes on, is when I first start it up, then after warming up, it goes out. Don't think I have ever driven it until it just stayed on completely.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
i will tell you guys right now that you are all telling me the same thing that use to happen to my 98. I would hot rod it or pull a trailer and then a day later, my low coolant light would come on. Then, 2 or 3 months after my first light went on, driving down the interstate with a loaded 4 place enclosed snowmobile trailer doing 75 mpg, the exhaust went totally white, Low Coolant light poped on and then . . . . BAM, hydolocked the motor and pushed the entire rear of the head gasket out.

Cost me 1200.00. 400.00 for the tow and 800.00 for heads, gaskets and bolts.

·
Registered
187 Posts
sh!t......not what I want to hear.!!!! Guess a man should just go ahead and bite the bullet and do a headgasket change now? And obviously have the heads checked while they are off.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
Mine just started smoking a hazy color last MONDAY. I know that it is due for work, but have to get my JEEP back up and going first.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i can work my truck hard for fun or work for time on end, light has only come on once and since jsut been trying to keep an eye on it. i wonder if my warrenty covers my heads?they dont cover my block. i asked about how to test head gaskets on these trucks without a straight answer. anyone got that covered? thanks for all your help and input guys

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
i can work my truck hard for fun or work for time on end, light has only come on once and since jsut been trying to keep an eye on it. i wonder if my warrenty covers my heads?they dont cover my block. i asked about how to test head gaskets on these trucks without a straight answer. anyone got that covered? thanks for all your help and input guys
I covered the common ones in this earlier post.

Mine loses coolant at a slow rate, started off at about 1/2 a gallon every month or so. It has now progressed to about 1 gallon a week. My problems started when I installed a hypertech chip and started hitting 1300 EGT pre-turbo. I would check your coolant tank to see if it loses the coolant out the overflow tube. My 6.5 passes all of the head gasket compression leak tests(no coolant smell and the hoses don't get hard quickly on cold start), but it will still have pressure in it after sitting overnight. But when you take it out and drive it get on it hard and then pull over and pop the hood, you'll see anti-freeze running down the fender from the coolant tanks overflow tube.
Radiator hoses getting hard quickly on cold start-ups, coolant smell in the exhaust, pressure still in the system after sitting overnight, and pukes coolant out of the system while driving. There could also be problems with trying to bleed all of the air from the cooling system(bleed the cooling system one day and the next day it has air again). If you find you have a problem you can remove the belt from the engine and remove the coolant crossover manifold and start it, you will see bubbles come up through the coolant passage of the head(or heads) of the side with the compression leak.

·
Registered
113 Posts
As bad as the head gasket thing sounds it still isn't as bad as it could be.When my 6.5 started losing water it wasn't hard to figure out what was happening.The same time the water level was dropping the oil level was raising.I knew there was something wrong with that picture.After a tear down it was discovered that the block bottom end was loaded with cracks.It's been a nightmare.Hope everything works out .

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I have seen one stud girdle from DSG on a cracked block. So far, so good. It's been about a year now, don't know how many miles. I've talked to the customer several times and he says the same thing, "So far, no indication of a problem." He was aware of the crack and had already performed the machining operations to the block when the crack finally showed up.

I came into the picture after the fact and suggested the DSG support. He would have replaced the block if he could have found one. He checked several cores and they all had cracks. The local rebuilders won't sell a bare block that isn't cracked, they use them.

·
Registered
801 Posts
are you close to needing an oil change? a 20 dollar oil analysis is a surefire way of seeing if the coolant is in your oil.

www.blackstone-labs.com

·
Registered
100 Posts
As bad as the head gasket thing sounds it still isn't as bad as it could be.When my 6.5 started losing water it wasn't hard to figure out what was happening.The same time the water level was dropping the oil level was raising.I knew there was something wrong with that picture.After a tear down it was discovered that the block bottom end was loaded with cracks.It's been a nightmare.Hope everything works out .
This is what really scars me, I have the same thing and was hoping for a bad head since the gaskets were just done.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts