Diesel Place banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Some darn good trouble shooting there nice J O B and thanks for taking the time to share the video and pics with us here much appreciated...good luck with the reminder of your repairs!

Please keep us informed...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Thanks man. I just got word from the machine shop that both heads have cracks in them. I'm not looking at some on ebay. I have the money for the Canada ones. Do you guys think I should get the new castings, or rebuilds? :confuzeld

Some darn good trouble shooting there nice J O B and thanks for taking the time to share the video and pics with us here much appreciated...good luck with the reminder of your repairs!

Please keep us informed...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Hey Guys,

I'm still working on this project. I just installed the rocker arm bolts. There is a slight play in the rods. Wiggle just alittle bit. If you look at the picture above. I am close to tdc. Do I need to back off slightly counterclockwise? Let me know, I'm not looking forward to taking off all the fresh right stuff on my valve covers. :bawl:

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
I know its a bit late but FWIW. OEM head bolts are TTY and intended for one time use.
New head bolts will require some thread sealant to prevent coolant loss..
IIRC, theres a light duty repair manual in the FAQs that cover engine disassembly, inspection, and reassembly.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Hey Heavy,

I used new felpro bolts. They had a coating on them. I used red thread lock on one side. My friend convinced me to not use it on the other side due to maybe shearing a bolt in the block.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #69 (Edited)
Hey Guys,

I started the truck today. It sounds good. The marine injectors are putting out more black smoke. I have a leaky drivers side valve cover gasket. I am going to try tightening down. If that doesn't work, I'll redo. I used the right stuff gasket for it. I also have a water leak on the passenger side. It doesnt look like its coming from the head gasket. I'm hoping it is just the overflow from the degas tank.

·
Administrator
15,733 Posts
Hey Guys,

I started the truck today. It sounds good. The marine injectors are putting out more black smoke. I have a leaky drivers side valve cover gasket. I am going to try tightening down. If that doesn't work, I'll redo. I used the right stuff gasket for it. I also have a water leak on the passenger side. It doesnt look like its coming from the head gasket. I'm hoping it is just the overflow from the degas tank.
Check the connections at the firewall for the heater core. Those have been known to leak..

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Check the connections at the firewall for the heater core. Those have been known to leak..
Thanks OKDually, and everyone else who helped me on this thread. :clap:
I am going to be checking all the hoses for leaks. There was a freeze plug that was leaking. Maybe 3 months of sitting did it in. The dash is also still dead. If I rev it to 3k rpm, the tach will move. Speedometer and volts, fuel show nothing.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts