Diesel Place banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1997 k2500 4wd 6.5
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 k1500 that I recently bought and pulled the blown 5.7 out and put a 6.5 in. Used differentials, trans, transfer case, and engine from another truck and all the wiring. Swap went great and truck runs well, but for the first drive it has no speedo and is stuck in 1st. It can only go about 10-15mph if I had to guess and rpms just go up and no shifting. Seen a lot of threads so I tried replacing both speed sensors with no luck. There is a 2 pin flat connector on the trans and I’m not sure what sensor that is. The trans fluid is clean and full. It’s a certified Chevy rebuilt trans less than 10k miles ago and shifted great before the swap. All fuses are good but none in the cab or engine bay that say tcm or trans. Only code was for p0713 trans fluid temp sensor circuit. Reverse, park, and neutral all work fine. Shift into 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and drive and it doesn’t matter it stays in 1st gear. Not sure what direction to head from here. 4L80E trans. Thanks all for the replies.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Post a photo of that 2-pin connector.
Fuse #20 (TRANS) in the dash fuse box should be a 10A

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Did you install the DRAC / VSSB module from the diesel? The OBD2 gas trucks which a 97 would have been didn't use one. It splits and translates the speed sensor signals for the dash and computer as well as has the calibration for the dash.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
The P0713 code may also your problem. The PCM is seeing high temp or other problem in the circuit.( voltage bad ground) and putting the trans in limp home mode. You will have only 1 forward gear and no shifts in Limp home mode.

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
I too was wondering about limp mode but the lack of speedo too made me think more of a missing speed signal. Also 2nd gear limp would get you above 10-15 mph. If he is estimating the speed as that slow it seems more like 1st. A scan that reads live data should give you some clues as to if its seeing the signal.

Is the computer harness and transmission all the same year and was diesel? Or is there some mixing going on there? Wasn't there some years where the transmissions were quite different electrically?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts