Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it finally happened. Since I'm a moron and cant fix my glow plug problem, that I've had for years, a starter mounting bolt finally stripped the hole shes supposed to go into. I know you can drill holes and retap them but this isnt a normal hole 馃ぃ馃ぃ pun intended? Haha let me know what yall think. I'm debating just buying a new starter and welding it in haha

Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
is it the outside hole? I had the same thing happen on the outside hole.
I just a longer grade 8 bolt with nut and washer.
Got it good enough so it didn't sound too bad meshing with the flywheel.

Also do you have the bracket on the front of the starter?

Registered
Yes, install a brace if you don't have one buuuut don't use a grade 8 bolt cause the shank isn't the right diameter and won't locate the starter properly, part 2 is your only grabbing a few threads and when the starter rips the G8 out, it probably will break the block!!

These starters are 8-10hp and take quite a bit to stay in place.

Install a heli coil and don't look back ....

:bigglasse

Registered
That could be the right bracket depending on which style of starter you have as there is 1 for direct drive and 1 for gear reduction.

I recommend geni GM bolts then go to you helicoil supply place and get the matching one. M 10x 1.5 mm off the top of my head ...

:bigglasse

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I have the direct drive. I need to invest in the gear reduction one so I can quit having the starter mounting bolts break on me. Thank you for the help.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Annnddd I'm screwed. It's the inside hole 馃槴 any suggestions? Considering welding it in again as I dont see any other option haha. This truck has been good to me but this may just be her final life of 9

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Actually I may have found an answer. Right angle drill attachment and a 25/64 drill bit with a hex shank because everything is hex now. If yall have any less expensive ideas I'm all ears haha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts