Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried looking through many pages of recent posts but didn't find anything similar. Anyhow, here is my problem:

On about 4 occasions within the last 2 months, my truck fires up and then dies about 1/2 second later. You can do this 20 times in a row. The first time it happened, I got ticked and banged on the dash. Tried it again and it started. Next time it happened, I tried banging on the dash again (yes, I am a well trained monkey and like being rewarded :D) but it didn't do squat this time. So, I got out and pushed on the pump by the fuel filter about 10-15 times. It fired right up. Twice the problem has occurred when the engine was cold and twice after I had been running it. The last time, I tired pumping it up 10-15 times but nothing so I did it again and then the engine started.

It is a 2003 HD with 42K miles. I used to get about 17.5 mpg but now getting more like 16. The Service Brake System light came on twice in the last month while I was driving down the road. My gauges stopped working twice also where most of them refused to display anything. I think the battery gauge was the only one working. I had the "new" fuel filter put on about 2 months ago. It ran fine for the first month and now this.

So, do you think I have some strange electrical problem? Air getting into the system? :help:

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I think banging the dash was just a coincidence. I would try another fuel filter. Sounds like air is getting in somehow. If you were maintaining prime, you wouldn't be able to pump it that many times.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the same no-start problem after having the fuel filter replaced. My truck would start fine, but would die after about 5 seconds. Funny thing is the problem didn't start until about a month after the filter was changed.

The dealer figured out that air was getting into the fuel system through the fuel manager. The dealer replaced the fuel manager (the housing that holds the fuel filter) and the truck has been running fine ever since.

·
Registered
84 Posts
A friend of mine had a similar problem and it turned out to be bad fuel. The fuel filter was not clogging. The coarse filter at the bottom of the fuel tank was full of this tar-like sludge.

He had the tank cleaned out and everything is fine now.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
There is a TSB reflash for the guage cluster not working sometimes, seems to be more of a 03 problem. It has to do with low voltage at start up so check your batteries and connections too.

Your filter might be sucking a little air in from a bad or mis-installed O ring.

And have the dealer check for any codes that might of set with the Brake System light.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts