Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys got a couple of questions. I run the edge on Level 2 (fear keeps me from going higher) with an AFE intake.

Yesterday I got the error message that the "Exhaust Filter Needed to Be Cleaned, See Owners Manual". What is the regen process? I thought it was automatic.

So I jumped on the Freeway to home from dinner and was cruising aroudn 65mph. The truck just went lame on me. I could hit the gas pedal and nothing. It wouldn't let me go faster than 60mph. So I stopped at my office and check the DTC codes in the Attitude and it was a mass air flow sensor. Used the Attitude to remove the codes and truck starts up fine, no problem and it didn't give me any grief this morning.

Now I don't think I limped the tranny because I've never really even hit the gas pedal real hard or have towed anything yet. I've got about 2800 miles on the motor and I baby this thing like you wouldn't believe.

So does anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,

·
Registered
226 Posts
Bartman432 had the same problem you are describing. I have not had any problems so far, I hope it stays that way.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have had the same code come up with mine. once you reset the light it should go bakc to normal. I find that if i continuously try to reset the light, that is when it goes into limp mode. i have left it on for a day now and it hasn't gone back to limp mode. I also have an AFE intake and i took the top off of it so that the filter would be in plane sight i did this to see if there would be any differnce since the light is for the mass air volume.

My check engine light usually comes on during the day when it gets really hot outside but at night it tends to stay off. Anyone else have the a similar case?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can reset it and the mass air flow code gos away and everything runs fine again, but I just don't like having to reset the dtc code all the time.

I installed the AFE intake per the instructions. And it also happens in the morning when its around 65f so I don't believe its temperature related.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I run level 5 every where. Did it on my LB7 for 5 years and no tranny problems. We are at 4500 ft so much less hp than sea level guys! Don't be afraid to use the juice, clutches in the allison can be replaced easily, just cost a little dough. Edge has done a great job at defeuling which really protects the tranny.
Now as for the mass air code, I get it every day as soon as it heats up outside. At about 95-100 degrees, you can bet it is going to come on at start up. I first thought it was tied to the remote start, cause every time I remote started to cool off the truck, it said mass air code. Soon I realized it was heat related (I think). I believe that Nate at edge is aware and they are sending a new board out next week.
Has any one else running level 5 had any other codes? If this is the only code, I think it is an easy fix.
By the way, on my regen, the engine light came on and flashed the same code. just like was repotede above.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't you think getting a mass air flow error is a little annoying?

I don't want to have to reset the dtc codes w/ the attitude everytime I jump in my truck.......

I'm still trying to figure out exactly what factors into this error, whether it be temperature or juice level etc. etc..

·
Registered
60 Posts
So far I've run levels 1-4, it's around 65 in the morning on the way to work and around 95-100 on the way home with patches even higher then that along the way, I've gotten no codes so far... stock intake.

I would be looking at the air box if I was you guys...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I started the truck up this morning on Level 3. Got almost 2 miles into my drive, I had just jumped on the 99 and had the cruise control set at 65mph.

Outside temp = 66f
Engine temp = 170f

The engine light came on and all power was gone. Pulled over, put the edge @ level 2, stopped the truck and then restarted. Got to work with no futher issues.

I think I'm going to stick @ level 2 for right now.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I'm going out today to drive around and i think im going to take your approach Aaron and set it on level 2 to see what happens.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I limped my truck today, was on lvl 1 and did a 4WD boosted lauch, might have hit the rev limiter, 95ish?
Anyhow, the check engine light came on and I couldn't go over 60.

Pulled over and turned the truck off and restarted, everything was fine after that.

Dunno if it was the tuner or if the truck doesnt like working that hard or if I bounced off the rev limiter? It all happened so fast. :eek:

·
Registered
306 Posts
I can my truck with the light on with no problems until i slam on the gas to hard then it triggers the limp mode.

Aynone get a error code for the fuel rail yet? I was on level 5 driving in traffic, when i sped up to pass some cars it came on. This code was not as easy to reset, it took a couple of trys with pulling over and shutting the truck.

I was on my way to my friends wedding when it did this, it made me very frustrated.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I got a new code that came up last night for the fuel rail. Anyone else seen this one yet?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had the engine light come on again while @ level 2. While I was just cruising around, doing about 45mph.

So now I'm at level 1 and I haven't recieved the Mass Air Flow code yet. I'm going to stick here until I get it. Hopefully edge comes up with something, I don't want to be stuck @ level 1, the most I could imagine running is level 3 and thats where I would like to be..... so we'll wait and see....

·
Registered
306 Posts
I drove my truck today on level 5 to and from the beach ( about and hour each way) at around 55-75mph. The only time i had to reset the light was when i started on the way their and when i started on the way back. i didn't have any problems during the trip and i got 20.1mpg there and 18.0mpg back.

How often is the particulate filter soppose to regenerate?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Engine light came on at level 1 this morning.

RPM = 1500
Speed = 60mph
Outside Temp = 68f
Engine Temp = 150f

Took about 3 miles from when a left for it to show up. Cleared the DTC code and now I'm running stock and want to see what happens.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I also got the fuel rail pressure code, really pissed me off, had to clear it several times, everything is fine now.

·
Registered
306 Posts
treyb07

I know what you mean

·
Registered
306 Posts
I got the "Clean Exhaust Filter" message today on the way home from the track while pulling a 24 foot car trailer. It went into Regeneration mode again right before this. Its the second day in a row that it has gone into Regeneration mode, I don't think it should be doing it this much, the owner's manuel says once per fill up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.