Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the other day when hooked up to my 5er the running lights were on the 5er but not the truck except for the driver's side front Amber light. Looked at it this morning not hooked up and there still isn't any running lights except for the one in front. I changed out the headlight switch, still nothing. Looked through the fuses and they all look good. Ideas??

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
wiring problem?
relay failed?
maybe actually test if the relevant fuses are getting power on both sides?

·
Registered
917 Posts
I ran into an interesting problem with my trailer circuits a while back. I lost power to a couple of items in the trailer, so I checked the fuses, and they visually looked good. Later after a couple of hours of trouble shooting, the blown fuse light came on to the fuse that looked good earlier. It seems the fuse was only partially burnt, and it couldnt handle the current draw to power the devices. finally it blew all the way and I was able to find the problem. I would change the fuses out even if they look good.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to run through the fuses with a meter and see what happens. To me it's just odd that one light works but none of the others...

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I'm going to run through the fuses with a meter and see what happens. To me it's just odd that one light works but none of the others...
When I looked at the running light circuits in electrical drawings. It shows right and left lights are there own circuits. My guess would be a ground problem.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I looked at the running light circuits in electrical drawings. It shows right and left lights are there own circuits. My guess would be a ground problem.
Thanks Ron...I went through the fuses and they're all fine. I gave up and took it to a mechanic and we'll see what he comes up with.

You think it might be the ground on the passenger side rail?

·
Registered
1,957 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had a buddy that had a bad brake controller that caused some lighting issues. Might want to check that out.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a buddy that had a bad brake controller that caused some lighting issues. Might want to check that out.
We'll check that out. You would think that would affect the trailer lights but I sure don't know...

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update on the electrical. A friend at a shop looked at it and even though the fuses tested ok there was a bad one. But...the funny thing is that all the running lights are wired to the right side fuse except for the one that still came on the left. So, he's going to move the wiring where it belongs and clean up the grounds for me this week. For my knowledge, where is the ground and what does it look like? I'm assuming that we'll have to pull the running board off to get to the battery area? Anyone have a pic of the grounds?

Thanks guys...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Try this

Attachments

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
My Windows 7 machine has died. That's where my MD manuals are. The drawing above is what it had. 3A, B, C, and D are the main ones from batteries. They are located on inside (transmission side) of passenger frame rail.

Interesting that lighting was not wired per drawing.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys. I cleaned up all the ground points and it all is better. I still have just one light on the left and the rest on the right. It's worked fine till now so I'm hoping it will continue to work now that it's cleaned up.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess I should update on what was found. For some reason all the lights were run through the right side fuse except for the one light. Although the fuse showed good on the meter it was definitely bad because I changed it out and all the lights work. While I was at it I cleaned up all the ground points and we're good to go. Thanks for everyones help!

·
Administrator
15,961 Posts
I guess I should update on what was found. For some reason all the lights were run through the right side fuse except for the one light. Although the fuse showed good on the meter it was definitely bad because I changed it out and all the lights work. While I was at it I cleaned up all the ground points and we're good to go. Thanks for everyones help!
Glad your issue is resolved.
Thanks for giving us an update!

(y)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts