Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is, if I remove my muffler, but keep the cat on. Will that screw anything up with the computer? I know my fathers SUV if you take the muffler off it says service engine soon. I just wanted to make sure it would not do this on an 06 Silverado LBZ.

Thanks!

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
You won't have any problems if you keep the CAT. We don't have any oxygen sensors behind the CAT so that is why we don't have problems with removing it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My son did it on his 04.5' and has never had any problems. Sounds and runs good too.

·
Registered
63 Posts
i cut mine off the fiest day i bought it and no problems what soo ever with it...

·
Registered
298 Posts
Whats the noise like? Is it alot louder. I want to cut mine off too but I don't want it to be any louder really.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Whats the noise like? Is it alot louder. I want to cut mine off too but I don't want it to be any louder really.
Why do you wanna cut the muffler off if you don't want it to be any louder? It will be louder, but not nearly as loud as it would be if you removed the Cat as well.

·
Registered
320 Posts
by removing the muffler only and leaving the cat it is only slightly louder, and barely noticeable. I was disappointed, and now i'm waiting for the fingerstick for the lbz to get rid of the cat and make some real noise.:ro)

·
Registered
137 Posts
What can one expect in performance/EGT's with the muffler removed, but with cat retained? My county in Idaho requires smog checks every year on diesels...Not sure if an absent muffler would be a problem on the inspection.

I'm having to go with "reversable mods"....-:t

TIA

·
Registered
155 Posts
Took mine off my 06 lly and no louder,no codes, better mpg but did not see a difference at the track but the wind and humitity could have caused that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
does taking the cat off void warrenty

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
What can one expect in performance/EGT's with the muffler removed, but with cat retained? My county in Idaho requires smog checks every year on diesels...Not sure if an absent muffler would be a problem on the inspection.

I'm having to go with "reversable mods"....-:t

TIA
Go to Boise muffler and ask if they have any LB7 front pipes. I bought one from them for $60.00. It bolts right in where the cat is. Well worth the time to change it out.

Remove the muffler and cat, still is not loud at all.

Because Mine is a 04.5, no cat required in the book:D

Need any help, let me know,
Rob

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just took out the whole exhaust on my 06 LLY, put on a 5" Summit turbo back kit (actually for 2001-2004 trucks), no kitty. Sounds very nice, plenty of turbo whistle and a good rumble when you get in it. No problems so far. Picked up a little better fuel mileage. Made a very noticable difference in power too. I am real pleased with it.:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.