Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone straight piped thier dmax yet?, did ya lose any low end or gain anything? Debating on going straight piped, my PSD sounded pretty cool straight piped, the turbo used to sing something fierce.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
I think King D is running straight pipe. I know there are a few for sure. I doubt very much that it would decrease low end power. I am debating on what to with mine as well. My problem is I want it to be loud sometimes and quiet others. I guess you can't have everything.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did notice that my PSD straight piped was quieter in the cab with the windows rolled up, but noticeably louder outside the truck. I am pretty sure I am gonna straight pipe it.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
stock pipes and straight pipe?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup :) I am not gonna chip it or anything, so no real need for huge exhaust, I just miss the turbo whistle.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
OH, you'll chip it. Everyone gives in with time.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't afford to replace an engine if I frag it, and unless there is a tuner that is undetectable once I remove it, then I likely won't chip it.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Have you ever seen the Juice? To the best of anyones knowledge it is not detectable once it is removed.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I assume you mean the edge juice...if that is true I might just slap it on there, but obviously gauges are mandatory, and alot of dealers get pissed when they see gauges.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Yes Edge juice. Guages are recommended but not 100% necessary. A little common sense goes a long way. I would guess that probably less the 1/2 of people who do upgrades actually have an EGT guage. I am working on a very stealth looking install but I am waiting to see what the attitude looks like first.

Don't forget, for Gm to deny you warranty they have to prove first that you have a power adder and second that it actually caused said problem. A guage doesn't prove you have a power adder. It just shows that you are smart and want to watch your EGT.

I promiss you won't regret getting the Juice. It puts a smile on my face everytime I drive it.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
I've been running straight pipe for two years. Diesels love unrestricted flow, however you accomplish it. Remember, diesels don't have a throttle plate or vacuum like gassers. It is designed to be free flowing. The maf sensor detects more airflow and tells the ECM more fuel... but it's not necessarily translated into more power as the paramerters are still there that control power level and rpms. The add-on power boxes take care of that part.

The benefit is cooler egt's and possibly slight power gains.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Hoot do you think the 3.5 straigt is as good as a 4" exhaust system??

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Probably close because if you are referring to a system with a muffler.

·
Registered
861 Posts
HEHE i have a banks exhaust system but it wasn't loud enough for me so i straight piped it. so i now run a 4in straight piped exhaust and god does it sound good. lol . when i put the pipe on it put my truck into limp mode for the first time so it didn't loose any grunt.

God does it sound good

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I straight piped mine shortly after getting it! Cost about $30 as son worked at a muffler place. LOVED THE SOUND & it wasn't that loud!! 2001 3500 crew cab D/A

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Could someone post a wav or mp3 of what your truck sounds like straight piped?

Thanks!

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
I haven't found anybody fast enough to hold the microphone there

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Hoot, I meant something like what the Flowmaster website has. You get to hear it rev up a few times then hear it takeoff at full throttle.

·
Registered
747 Posts
hoot said:
I haven't found anybody fast enough to hold the microphone there

1 - 19 of 19 Posts