Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a sound bite that you could share of a straight piped LB7? I'd like to cosider this mod but would like to hear a comparison of the two systems before making a decision. Or is there anyone in South Florida who has a straight piped truck that I might be able to hook up with to get a listen. I'm in Miami.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Damn..if only you had posted this when I drove down to westpalm a few months ago..doh, the only thing I can offer is that it sounds like nothing I have heard, at the upper rpms it almost shreaks in the cab..it sounds really badass, wheny ou lug it it sounds like a fedex truck without the ratle and above 2500 the exhaust sounds like a mix between a nascar and a powerstroke.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Wickedsprint,

My straight pipe doesn't sound anything like you described.

A low rumble in the cab is all I ever hear. With the windows down I can hear it a little better but it has never been loud inside the cab.

Outside it is louder than stock. but more like a small block with turbo mufflers on it. I get just a littel flutter from the turbo. IT wasn't nearly as loud as I expected or really wanted. Gonna have to save the greenbacks to get a kennedy 4"-5" system..

Mike

·
Registered
396 Posts
YOU LOSE BOTTOM END GRUNT BY DOING THE STRAIGHT PIPE....TRUST ME I DID IT.....LIKED IT AT FIRST! GOT SICK OF IT. WENT TO A 4" SYSTEM AND WAS VERY HAPPY. ALL I KNOW IS I WASTED $30.00 TO GO STRAIGHT PIPE AND LOST POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MY NEIGHBOR THAT JUST MOVED IN NEXT DOOR DID EXACTLY AS I DID AND VERIFIED THE LOSS OF POWER. YOU'LL SEE!!!

·
Registered
962 Posts
I have a measured speed limit sign that I race to, I did not lose any power...anyhow..with the programmer the truck got LOUD when it starts making power, in the cab I can drive it to where you hardly hear the engine..people still comment "wow this is quiet..and are seriously surprised it is a diesel, but it flat out shreaks when you wind it out, when the windows are down, the sound it makes off walls and buildings is VERY loud at anything above part throttle, and when you let ff you get a nice HISS from the exhaust.Edited by: Wickedsprint

·
Registered
747 Posts
Tube Tool Max said:
Thanks for the input guys. Is there a system that increases flow w/o increasing sound?

I have heard that the tts exhaust does this. I am still debating which exhaust system to buy.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Tube Tool Max,

Most folks that have installed one of our MBRP systems that have gotten the muffler delete pipe have later installed our Sprial Flow muffler. The rasp is a little too much after a while. Plus a correctly designed muffler such as the Spiral Flow will not impede flow or cause you any loss of CFM volume out the pipes anyway. The most important part of exhaust improvement is getting a larger diameter mandrel bent tube system, and of course a good muffler. We have systems available in aluminized, T-409 and T-340 stainless, sungles and dual systems as well. We are always available to help with questions just call.

Mark @ DPPI

·
Registered
296 Posts
I completely agree with Wickedsprints, I love the sound of the straight pipe. I think it's the best aftermarket feature that I have done to my truck. Even just sitting idle its loud and noticeable. I also think that it give a great turbo whine, and I never had any power loss.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Well I have aftermarket exhaust but when driving normaly the straight piped version of my truck is quiter than the exhaust with the muffler from inside the cab. With the windows down its quite a bit louder but still reasonable if you keep your foot outa it. If you get in it it gets loud, I've set off car alarms before
Also had a cop accuse me of "trying to incite a riot"

One thing I will say though.....having a non stock program will make it louder.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Has anyone out there put on a "race muffler"? such as a glasspack from dynomax? Through "Jegs" one could buy a few different styles of race mufflers that have 3 1/2" in/outlets I've been strongly kicking around doing this mod.

"Jammer"

·
Registered
861 Posts
mines a 4 in straight pipe and it is loud. a lot louder the a 3 1/2 straight pipe.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
4" till about the bed and then a 5" tail pipe

be carefull around the cops, I was threatened with about 350$ in fines this weekend but no tickets

·
Registered
147 Posts
I used a piece of 3" pipe. It was a nice fit to slip it inside the stock pipe and weld the seams. Mine has a nice ballsy sound, not too loud, and no drone when towing. I really like it, but I will be going to a 4" to gain some power.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I would love to get a straight pipe, but I am worried about the noise when I am driving the long mile trips. My friend had a 5" with a muffler on his Dodge and it was really bad at a at 60-75mph.....you could not talk....just a loud low rumble. I know it is a Dodge....but if you ask me they are the best sounding Diesels on the road with a straight pipe.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
oddly enough my truck is quiter in the cab with the windows up at a 60-75 mph cruise with no muffler as apposed to the muffler with the kennedy system
Inside the cab my truck isnt much louder than stock at a cruise. Much louder outside the truck with no muffler though
Getting on it it is much more noticable than the kenedy system.

I ran to the speed limiter with a 1000#'s in the back of my truck and my 9'6" v blade(around 900# I believe) on the front and the sound wasnt unbearable. And with the plow on the front I am about as areodynamic as a box of Velveeta

Reg cabs seem to be a bit quiter though I believe.

Mufflers!? We dont need no stinking mufflers!

Do the straightpipe and if you dont like it then buy an exhaust. That way you get by cheap if it works out. JMO

·
Registered
344 Posts
Nowake,

Definately have to agree with the Dodges sounding the best! That is the thing I miss most about my dodge. Especially when it comes to romping on it in a manual. Sounds like a semi!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts