Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am wanting to put a straight pipe on my lly but i like the truck bein quiet now. will that make it considerably louder or what? any info is much appreciated.

·
Registered
10,536 Posts
When pulling it sounds like 50 mad vacuum cleaners. Empty normal driving is like a mild hot rod with a whitsle in the pipe.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Have 4" turbo back and my truck sounds meaner than any stroker out there! The 4" is probly the best mod I have done yet!

·
Registered
758 Posts
the truck is louder only if you replace the cat. i straight piped mine at the muffler and did not notice any increase in noise. when you also replace the cat is when it becomes a lot louder.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I replaced the cat on my truck with the front pipe from my pals 2003 LB7 truck and used a magnaflow 4" cat back system. Very happy with the results, not too loud but just enough to sound like you got authority.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i am just getting rid of the muffler i think

·
Registered
2 Posts
i will be cutting out the muffler and welding in just a strait piece of pipe on a 05 tomorrow, leaving the cat and everything else stock. i did a cummins a while back and if its half as good as that turned out i will be happy.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
collin04,

Do a cat back and you'll be happy. Just cutting out the stock muffler helps, but you're still held back with the stock non mandrel pipe sizes. Getting a 4 inch mandrel and the straight thru muffler will help more with EGT's and spool up, and the sound will be quieter than cutting out the stock muffler alone too. If you have questions just call us and we will be glad to help you.

Mark @ DPPI

·
Registered
2 Posts
im not really sure why they even waste the money on a muffler on a these. besides a little lower tone at an idle i couldn't really tell much of a difference. i think it is the vains in the turbo changing that can be heard very well. like its been said before anyone looking for a diesel strait pipe sound should go with a cat delete pipe or a system that does away with it. my $.02

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
are you saying get the whole exhaust system w/ cat delete pipe or putting a 4" pipe in place of the muffler?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.