Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure my injectors are bad because the truck is smoking like a train so I finally got enough money saved up and took it to the local mechanic shop. They said since it's straight piped it could be causing the truck to smoke more. Could that be true? They are gonna run some test on the truck today.

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
Sounds like hogwash to me. Where they able to justify their statement, or did they just say it to confuse you into more testing and then just move on with something else? That doesn't really sound like a shop that I'd let replace my injectors. In fact, other than to confuse you into more testing, I don't have the slightest idea as to why that statement would even need to be said.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Sounds like hogwash to me. Where they able to justify their statement, or did they just say it to confuse you into more testing and then just move on with something else? That doesn't really sound like a shop that I'd let replace my injectors. In fact, other than to confuse you into more testing, I don't have the slightest idea as to why that statement would even need to be said.
What he said

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They called and said two injectors are bad and two more are getting there. I figured it didn't have anything to do with the exhaust

·
Registered
332 Posts
^^^same

Run!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I forgot to mention they said it could be lack of back pressure causing the smoke. I just brought it up there since I don't know how or have any way of checking balance rates. Im gonna have my buddy change them out since he's done it before

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are the rates the shop gave me:
#1 -1.2
#2 2.4
#3 -5.3
#4 2.3
#5 2.4
#6 -2.6
#7 2.9
#8 -1.1

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm gonna go ahead and do all 8. I hear that Bosch redid them back in 07 or 08. How much better are they?

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
I've found with a 5 inch exhaust the smoke becomes more visible as the exhaust exiting exits slower, and allows it to be more visible. I've see ntrucks with stock exhaust not have hardly any visible smoke, but when they put on a 5 inch, it looks ghorrible coming out the tailpipe. So it's not complete hogwash.

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
I don't by it at all. Lack of back pressure causing it to smoke? The injectors are causing it to smoke. Sure, a slower flowing exhaust will make it look worse, but it doesn't somehow add more smoke that didn't already exist. I'm still calling hogwash on his exhaust actually contributing to the problem and "making it smoke more".

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,078 Posts
I forgot to mention they said it could be lack of back pressure causing the smoke. I just brought it up there since I don't know how or have any way of checking balance rates. Im gonna have my buddy change them out since he's done it before
This isn't a gasser that needs back pressure to run properly.
I've found with a 5 inch exhaust the smoke becomes more visible as the exhaust exiting exits slower, and allows it to be more visible. I've see ntrucks with stock exhaust not have hardly any visible smoke, but when they put on a 5 inch, it looks ghorrible coming out the tailpipe. So it's not complete hogwash.
That's a different avenue than just straight piping it. Wonder if the lower flow is just allowing the exhaust to cool of enough to be more visible.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
This isn't a gasser that needs back pressure to run properly.

That's a different avenue than just straight piping it. Wonder if the lower flow is just allowing the exhaust to cool of enough to be more visible.
When the exhaust slows down, the smoke becomes more visible because it isn't being jetted out and mixxed with the air outside the tail pipe as much. I didn't say it would cause it to smoke, but it CAN make it more visible to the human eye. Quite a few people havent noticed there trucks smoking until they went to bigger exhaust. They smoked before, just wasn't noticeable until the bigger exhaust. And the OP didn't say if he had a stock exhaust with no muffler, or put in a 5 inch straight pipe exhaust. Guess I'll have to go do a video to PROVE that enlarging the outlet pipe makes smoke more visible to the naysayers. Anybody who has ever used a nebulizer already knows this.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I think what was being said is that there was no need for further engine inspection. I agree with the fermanator as far as the exhaust showing up different because of exit speed but that doesn't mean that 5" exhaust made the motor smoke more just made it more noticeable

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a 4" banks monster exhaust without the muffler. Thanks for all the feedback guys

1 - 16 of 16 Posts