Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My best friends truck got stolen out of his driveway last friday. It was a GMC blue crew cab long bed SLT 4x4, with 115 miles. The guy hot-rodded the Duramax up hwy 50 doing 85 mph+ into Lake Tahoe where on-star found him and contacted Lake Tahoe PD and then was chased doing 50mph+ then hit an embankment and sheered off the driver side front wheel and tire with CV. Possible frame damage, damage to the t-case, and front end damage. Could he have possibly done any damage to the truck during this break in period? I know the impact may have caused damage, but the way he drove it could it have damaged the engine? Thanks for the imput, he just wants to know since the truck might not get totalled out.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Can't be good for the new engine, he might want to try to negioate a new one. Good luck dealing with the insurance company!

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
That sucks.

Im sure the thief was real light footed during the engine warm up period too.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Other than the damage done to the truck in the wreck i don't see how the engine culd be hurt. the computer will limit the RPMs so it won't rev to high.I drive mine like i stole it once in a while and never have damaged the engine

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
ive driven mine like that since it was new. dont be too worried.

·
Registered
575 Posts
it was probably better for it than babying it.What a shame, I would do whatever i had to,but i would not want it back. he bought a new truck,didnt even burnthe first tank of fuel,no way should be get what amounts to a rebuilt salvage truck when its done.

·
Registered
206 Posts
My best friends truck got stolen out of his driveway last friday. It was a GMC blue crew cab long bed SLT 4x4, with 115 miles. The guy hot-rodded the Duramax up hwy 50 doing 85 mph+ into Lake Tahoe where on-star found him and contacted Lake Tahoe PD and then was chased doing 50mph+ then hit an embankment and sheered off the driver side front wheel and tire with CV. Possible frame damage, damage to the t-case, and front end damage. Could he have possibly done any damage to the truck during this break in period? I know the impact may have caused damage, but the way he drove it could it have damaged the engine? Thanks for the imput, he just wants to know since the truck might not get totalled out.
I would demand a new truck. With a price tag of almost 50k, or even an older Dmax like mine, I would hope the insurance company would total it and get a nice check in the mail. Why should you have to get a truck back that had been abused and mangled by a couple of crooks.:rant:

·
Registered
413 Posts
85 on 50? Too bad they didn't fly off the edge on some of the corners to unquestionably total it!!

Any damage to the engine will be the impact not the hot rodding.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Ditto that.... the fact that it's been involved in a serious accident will forever impact the value of the truck.
If the insurance company does not total it, he does have the right to demand compensatory payment for the lost value.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Ditto that.... the fact that it's been involved in a serious accident will forever impact the value of the truck.
If the insurance company does not total it, he does have the right to demand compensatory payment for the lost value.

im with him

·
Banned
1,840 Posts
It sucks it had to happen to this poor guy on the other hand however its a shame the thief didn't outrun the police. now that would be a headline...

"GM's new LBZ diesel combats Interceptor"):h

:grd:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Any body that would do something like that does not deserve to live in our society. He should have got a bullet to the head when they caught him but he probably got celebrity treatment like all the criminals do these days.-:t

Rick

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He has not been caught, still on the loose. He did outrun the police on pioneer trail in Tahoe.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
You better go check those little flyers that they stick in with your insurance policy - State Farm for one - has added a "no diminished value" clause to their policies. I'd have to go pull it out as to wether it applies to theft, but I know it does apply to an at fault accident. Now if its the other guys fault you can get compensated by their insurance.

Just another way for the ins industry to make you grab your ankles.

·
Registered
119 Posts
How did they steal it? Did they have to do much work to get it going?

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
but I know it does apply to an at fault accident.
Oh, absolutely... I would not expect it for any kind of at-fault situation.

Wouldn't make much sense to pay a $1k deductible and turn around and get a check back for $10k diminished :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'd be more concerned with the body damage. I had someone t-boned my wife's van when it was a year old, and the body shop was never able to get it "like new" again. A very long story. I've learned to live with the slight imperfections. Hopefully your friend will have better luck.

Re: the engine....some folks prescribe to the ride it like you stole it school when new (no pun intended, do a search on the forum), so I would be less concerned about the engine.

Good luck to your friend.

JAFO

·
Registered
91 Posts
Lost value

File a Diminished Value Claim with the insurance company. When you
go to sell it it will show wrecked if someone does a "carfax" on it.
My wife has a pristine 2000 RX300 Lexus with 72K miles. A guy ran
a red light and creamed the side and front end. Did not bend the
frame and they are gonna fix it for $9k and the car is worth $21K
I'll never be able to sell it for what it is worth. The body shop manager
gave me a guys name to file the report and I should receive an
additional 5K. On another note, since it was a side impact the
front air bag did not go off. It fractured her wrist and knocked out
her tooth. WEAR your seatbelt, it saved her life.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 19 of 19 Posts