Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an early 01 d max. rated at 300 hp. i have heard that the way i am running ( hot edge w/ superchip on safe tow) the hp i am actually putting to the wheels is only about 375 hp. so my question is shouldnt my trans hold that? or do i need to spend $3000.
should i get a torque converter to help with slippage ?
the 06 trucks are at 360 hp so do the have the same hp rating as the 01 ?
i dont want to fry my tranny but dont have a lot of xtra cash eather.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
If you really don't want to fry your transmission, you probably shouldn't run more than about 40hp over stock for towing. Otherwise get ready to spend $3500+.

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
If you really don't want to fry your transmission, you probably shouldn't run more than about 40hp over stock for towing. Otherwise get ready to spend $3500+.
OneTALLGMC96 nails it as far as I am cocerned for towing. For playing I would go 1 higher on the Edge. Also remember that running the two mods stacked knocks the Edge tranny protection for a loop. There are a few that have been lucky and got by with more. I'm sure they will post here also.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i only tow with the edge on 2 max.i turn it up when playing and when i need to smoke out one of my old cummins buddys.
so will a TC help me any or just kill the tranny faster?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i would love to do the overbuild but the truck budget is almost gone for this year so trying to get by. i have a 30 ft 5th wheel and a malibu wakesetter (wakeboard boat) that i pull at the same time so i need the truck to be in good shape.
not to mention the boating season is upon us and the camping season starts next month so there is where most extra $$ is going.
not to worry im only towing on level 2 .i love the edge cause its so easy to turn iy up when i unhook.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts