Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know this has been brought up before but i wanted to state it again...STOCK TIRES ARE HORRIBLE..i could get stuck in water if the pavement was slick enough..tires are in my future ...fast

·
Premium Member
17,953 Posts
I pulled seven sets of Bridgestone Duravis 773's at delivery on 7 $35,000 trucks because they are useless in the mud and snow, plus, they extend the stopping distances on these 3-4 ton trucks to the point of being unacceptable (even in the dry).
Having as many trucks as we do, I have come to the conclusion that the Jetzon Revenger A/T serves us the best. Very low noise, excellent wear patterns, awesome in the snow (stopping and going), and rather good (above my expectations) in clay and mud.
The Cooper Discoverer ATR is my second choice, but not as good in snow and ice.
The Discoverer M + S works very well year round but a heavy foot shreds them.
I summary, the stock tire sucks in mud, snow, and rain due to closed shoulder treads, sucks in the dry due to too hard of a compound, and lasts too long so vibrations from uneven wear and belt slap are stuck until they're gone.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I completely agree the stock tires suck. I am waiting to here back from my g/f's dad on what his buddy at discount tire can do for me pricewise, but I should have some 285's or 295's this week. Finally :ro)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I can't wait to get rid of the stock pizza cutters as well. Waiting until spring for new rims and tires.

·
Registered
219 Posts
cuffnup;1603376; said:
i know this has been brought up before but i wanted to state it again...STOCK TIRES ARE HORRIBLE..i could get stuck in water if the pavement was slick enough..tires are in my future ...fast
It's funny you would mention that because I have gotten stuck in water when the pavement was slick. :eek:: BLACK ICE covered by a foot of water from all the dam melting snow. Don't ask me how it happened, IT JUST DID.:eek:
I see 265's BFG's in my future

·
Registered
460 Posts
Get this, I almost rear ended a person 5 miles from when I picked up my NEW 06 when the roads were a little wet!! I immediately went to my local Firestone dealer and traded them in on Revos. I paid $400 for new 265/75/16 Revos with tradein. WELL WORTH IT. The ride is better, looks better, and the truck stops!!! Imagine that concept!!

·
Registered
746 Posts
I ordered BF Goodrich 10 ply TA's this morning and should have them THursday afternoon. Can't wait....

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I am not sure what I will be going to brand wise as I plan on a 265 also but my sister in law runs a tire shop and she was here this weekend and told me I would be able to get set from her for 10 bucks a tire over her cost so I will have to see what I can come up with. She also told me that I could have any brand tire I wanted and she would get it for me. I hope I make a good choice.
Phillip

·
Registered
143 Posts
The stock tires are not that bad.90% is the driver. Im not saying I like them.They are terrible in the rain and mud.When I took delivery of my truck,I asked my salesman where's the off-road tires I paid for? He looked at me puzzled.The 245 is undersized for the wheel opening.The 265 is the perfect fit. I still havent DECIDED on what im buying yet.

Ive narrowed it down to 4.

1.Cooper ATR
2.GoodYear Silent Armor or ATS
3.BridgeStone Revos
4.Pro-Comp All-Terrains(cant find a dealer)

·
Registered
490 Posts
The stock tires stink in the rain, they stink in the snow and they stink on ice, now they do perform better when loaded down as intended, but they are the smallest tires I have had on any of my 3 trucks, and one was an s10. I am just not used to such a narrow and short tire. Combine that with all the torque this puppy makes and it explains why I need new tires after 23k. They spin very easily.

·
Registered
104 Posts
New Truck...Bad Tires???

I just bought an '07 Silverado Classic 3500 CC Long Bed 4x4. Are you all saying the tires on the new truck are bad? Mine are the Bridgestone M773ll's............these are bad tires?? It's what came on the truck when I bought it last week. I got 400 miles on them.

You are saying to trade them in on something better...??

Bridgestone Revos are better.....??

I guess I got questions,

Paul

·
Premium Member
17,953 Posts
GMGUY;1607063; said:
I just bought an '07 Silverado Classic 3500 CC Long Bed 4x4. Are you all saying the tires on the new truck are bad? Mine are the Bridgestone M773ll's............these are bad tires?? It's what came on the truck when I bought it last week. I got 400 miles on them.

You are saying to trade them in on something better...??

Bridgestone Revos are better.....??

I guess I got questions,

Paul
They are awesome tires as far as treadlife goes. But, dry, wet, and snow, and mud performance are extremely questionable. Test them for yourself with several panic stops in the dry and wet from at least 40 mph, if you're satisfied, they are good enough.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just replaced the 245s with 285 Bridgestone Revos on my 07 Crew Cab. The difference is night and day. Ride and handling feel much better and now the truck doesn't look so silly. I know that technically 285s don't belong on the stock wheels, but I had them on my previous HD for 3 years with nothing but good results. Even towing my 25' camper they were fine. So far I LOVE the Revos! Awesome ride, excellent in the snow and no noticeable road noise. Fairly expensive however, but if they last as long as they're supposed to I won't complain.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts