Diesel Place banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the stock tire for an 03 duramax, I want to say its the 265 70R 16, Firestone Steel tecks. white letter. Any one help me out?

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Typ of tire

Was it the Steel tecks??

· Registered
775 Posts
upgrade_Duramax;1565815; said:
Was it the Steel tecks??
He probably is refereing to the 245x75x16 "E" rated Firestone brand tires that came stock on the trucks way back then. Steeltex or something similar was the name Firestone branded the tire.

I had one tire blow out on my 02 2500HD while running 70mph down the freeway. Truck had 27,000 miles at the time. :mad:

The sidewall split from rim to tread when I got the truck pulled over. (BTW ever tried to break a lug nut torqued at 140lbs ? )

Bought BFG 265x75x16 KOs the next day and will never have another Firestone tire.

· Registered
599 Posts
I ran three sets of the Firestones on my 95 k1500 157,000 miles and never had a flat or a problem. I thought the firestones were good wearing quiet tires. Besides that I was able to pick them up cheap at my local tire shop when other people would replace them off their new rigs. I picked my last set of 4 245's for $300.00 and have over 40,000 miles on them.

· Registered
627 Posts
Wirelessly posted (palm tx: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x448)

Yep,Firestone Steeltex LT245/75R16, load E blackwall back in '03. Now they ship with Bridgestone Duravis 773, same size. The tread pattern looks identical. Makes me think they just renamed the tire to avoid the "Steeltex failure" publicity.

· Registered
775 Posts
Frozen Tundra;1576698; said:
I ran three sets of the Firestones on my 95 k1500 157,000 miles and never had a flat or a problem. I thought the firestones were good wearing quiet tires. Besides that I was able to pick them up cheap at my local tire shop when other people would replace them off their new rigs. I picked my last set of 4 245's for $300.00 and have over 40,000 miles on them.
AND HOW MANY SHARES OF FIRESTONE DO YOU HAVE ? :p:

Apparently you are not using the Firestone brand tires that were failing. If you are using take offs of the brands below, lets HOPE the problems are corrected. Sorta like Russian roulette isn't it ?

here is a paragraph taken from a publication regarding Firestone tires....

Last year, tire-manufacturer <A href="http://www.firestone.com/">Bridgestone/Firestone Inc. was faced with a major product recall after discovering the treads on several of its models were separating from the tires. The case involved more than 14.4 million of the Firestone ATX, ATX II and Wilderness AT tires, most of which had been installed on sport utility vehicles. Ford's Explorer models constituted a major portion of the recall. Future investigations would link the faulty tires to 1,400 complaints, 88 deaths and more than 250 injuries.19 Both companies were forced to take action.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.