Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 04 Sierra 4X4 and still trying to figure out the best way to level the front end...had a shop put six turns on the torsion bar. That gave us 2" after 75miles of driving it is now 1.5". We have read that adding a torsion bar key will help improve the ride, thinking about giving that a try. Also thinking about adding some aftermarket shocks...Edelbrocks. Anyone us them or have had sucess with any others.

Any info would be great!

·
Registered
540 Posts
By all means replace the stock shocks. Mine were shot by 7.5k!!

The favorite choices seem to be Rancho or Bilstein.

I have the Bilstein and they are great.

·
Registered
149 Posts
No one seems to like the Edelbrocks. As Larry suggested....Bilsteins seem to be the favorite, with Ranchos as the next best thing. I decided to go with the Bilsteins. They should be here this week for me to install

·
Registered
540 Posts
You won't regret the choice. The difference was huge on my truck. The wife thought I was nuts for replacing shocks with only 7k on them until she rode in the truck with the Bilsteins.

·
Registered
149 Posts
FirstDiesel said:
You won't regret the choice. The difference was huge on my truck. The wife thought I was nuts for replacing shocks with only 7k on them until she rode in the truck with the Bilsteins.

Larry, I hope mine agrees after the install....OR...I may have to find a new place to live....

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info on the Bilsteins. Any running with there front end leved out with the Bilsteins, if so what kind of ride improvements did it make.

I just checked out my new ride and noticed that the front end is off .5 between the two front tires and top of wheel well.
They put in six turns each side, I have read somewhere that the turns are not always equal. I guess we will have to work at it and do some fine tuning. The back is off as well buy almost a inch....only 200miles on it

Other than that we love this truck

·
Registered
170 Posts
Where is the best (cheapest) place to get some Bilsteins.

·
Registered
149 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
BamaFan said:
Bilsteins seem to be the favorite, with Ranchos as the next best thing.
Hmm... I've found the exact opposite to be true.

·
Registered
326 Posts
NoWake200 said:
I just checked out my new ride and noticed that the front end is off .5 between the two front tires and top of wheel well.
Welcome to the club, the one where just about every GM truck owner is a member. Seems this problem is so prevalent that it's actually acquired a nickname: The Silverado (Sierra) Slope. Great bit of design/engineering on GM's part, huh?

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is true out Sierra was off .5" lower on the driver side now after some fine tuning 10" on both sides

Jim, what ranchos are you using with your front end leveled out?

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jim what area of Jersey are you from...I grew up in Butler...northwest Jersey.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Just got my truck back after the tree incident. Had them put Bilstiens on it.

Like night and day. I don't know how Bilstiens compare to the other premium shocks but they sure do blow away the factory ones.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
that is good...how would you say the ride is now...what is the most noticable differance?

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
NoWake200 said:
that is good...how would you say the ride is now...what is the most noticable differance?
Most noticable difference is how much better they absorb the small stuff. Makes running down a lightly bumpy road a smoooth experience. When I first put the larger tires on I complained about the ride. These Shocks made a huge improvement. A must for larger tires. Truck is also more nimble and precise.
Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
267 Posts
For me, the most noticeable difference was it's a hair stiffer, but at the same time you don't get a continued bounced after hitting a bump. It gets dampened right away. It used to "wallow" after hitting a decent bump, now you feel the truck move when it first hits the bump, and then it's stable right away.

This gives the feeling of nimbleness & precision Hoot mentioned.

IMO, it does ride a little rougher, but I've rationalized that the extra control and lack of wallowing is well worth it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've never tried Bilsteins but I have Ranchos. Has everyone switched over to the Bilsteins and how are they that different from the Ranchos 9000 shock? I'd just as soon not have a stiff ride if I can help it but my stock shocks have @30k on them and they just don't seem to work well anymore.

·
Registered
958 Posts
How do the Ranchos or Bilsteins feel when going over washboard? Particularly uphill while trying to accelerate.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I've tried accelerating over some really rough patches here in salt-road country, and the Bilsteins transmit less feedback to me, but they don't help put the power to ground much better in an unloaded CC (not sure anything would help). That's been my experience anyways...

·
Registered
958 Posts
I've found that on steep gravel roads, when you hit washboard (usually in acceleration spots on switchbacks, etc.) the truck hops all over the place and the back tires just don't track well. Mind you most trucks are the same way but I've been in a couple that were great on that stuff. I wonder if the shocks will help..

1 - 20 of 45 Posts