Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have and all factory system in my 03. The single CD changer/radio/casset. Last night I get in my truck and no music is coming out the speakers, not static but just no sound to any of my speakers. It worked 2 hours before fine. I could change the station, change CD’s, volume, turned it off and on a couple times, everything looked like it was normal, just no sound. I turned off the truck and restarted and still nothing. On my drive home part of the way I let it on and no sound, then just turned it off. Today I get in the truck and turn it on just for grins and it worked fine? So now it works and that’s all I care about but I’m just wondering if it is some kinda sign. Anyone hear of this? Oh…..it wasn’t overly hot that day and I wasn’t blasting the music before it decided to die on me.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Well, glad to see that it was just not me. Stopped for fuel last week radio worked fine; drove about a mile and noticed that there was no sound but everything was lit up on the radio; stopped at Subway and when restarted the truck again everything worked fine and has continued now. So what is up with the radios??

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
You guys push the Onstar buton if equiped ??
Or maybe Onstar was trying to comunicate ...

Just a suggestion ...

Mac

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
No On-Star in my truck and I've had radio issues as well. Won't play CD's after a long drive (couple hours). When I eject the CD it is burning hot. Radio will play though.

Did have the entire radio lock up on me once though. Wouldn't even shut off until I pulled the fuse under the hood! Would still like to know if they removed the fans on these radios. I know the '99-'02s had fans but there seems to be an issue with the '03s, or at least mine, with overheating.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
I had a car that would do that and the Factory unit was replaced to repair ....

Mac

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
Gotta love those GM radios. That use to happen alot in my Hummer. The radio would be playing and then just die. Same Bose system. Think it had something to do with the internal amp. But same thing will happen in these systems as well. Just kill the truck and restart should fix it everytime.

·
Registered
233 Posts
sprintmod1 said:
Well, glad to see that it was just not me. Stopped for fuel last week radio worked fine; drove about a mile and noticed that there was no sound but everything was lit up on the radio; stopped at Subway and when restarted the truck again everything worked fine and has continued now. So what is up with the radios??

My '03 factory Bose radio did the same thing. I took the truck into the stealer and the SM did some kind of reflash (?) with a Tech II. I never had any problems after that.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My 03 Had to be reflased also, works fine since.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Delco!

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no bose and I dont have onstar

maybe I need to de-juice it and take her in

atleast it dont sound like I'm aloneEdited by: ratlover

·
Registered
386 Posts
First thing I would check is the fan. If the HU is overheating, all kinds of wierd things could be happening. Then once it cools down, function correctly until it heats up again.

Bill

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had this problem as well. It seems there is a problem with the radio software. I thought it had something to do with the Bose system, but perhaps not. The fix was a reprogram at the dealer. Have not had any problems since.

·
Registered
347 Posts
There is a TSB out for this problem.

From AllData:

02-08-44-018 OCT 02 Audio System - Diagnostics for No Sound From Speakers

The latest revision of this TSB is from March 2003.

Have your dealer look it up.

Later....Edited by: JMPDMax

·
Registered
687 Posts
JMPDMax said:
The latest revision of this TSB is from March 2003.

Have your dealer look it up.
It's over a year since that last revision.....Wouldn't you think they'd have THAT part straightened out on the '04's?

Knock-Knock (on wood) mine's been fine.

Were all these failures on semi-warm days? And after long periods of loud play?

Heat does sound like a culprit, but as UN-powerful as these head units are, you wouldn't thing they'd generate that much heat.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I can't say that it was because of extremely loud play, and it's happened in summer and also winter when it's 0° outside. It typically happens about 3 hours into my 6 hour drive back home so it has time to warm up fairly good.

The face of the radio and the top of the dash are very warm when it happens. The CD's come out smokin'. Brand new CD's won't even play when it gets to this point, so it's safe to rule out scratched CD's. Something is definitely wrong with the amount of temperature it is generating.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Mine did it once also, just once. Bose, 6 cd .

Will add to list for dealer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts