Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post so bare with me. I have a 2006 GMC Sierra with the LLY. I am wondering what is the cheapest way to get a stock Lbz Tune loaded. I don't have any tuners on the truck. I just want the stock LBZ Tune for now. I am driving to California next week and would love to try it out on the drive. Again I am cheap and have been quoted $350 for a single tune?. I hope that's not the going rate. I tried the dealer as well. They claim Vin issues blah blah blah. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thats about the going rate. Why not just drop a little more money and get a custom tune? Other option is to make friends with someone at a stealership and have them flash your ECM as an LBZ.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I am considering buying Efi live. But I am confused as to what it gets me. Do I still have to buy the tunes (If I don't write my own)? Does it come with a certain amount of access to custom tunes. I know I need the interface and a laptop. But I also want to get an edge insight and pre load custom tunes on it and use it as the programmer. Or am I better off with the edge and having someone preload the edge for me instead of buying the Efi live?

·
Vendor
9,668 Posts
If you buy EFI Live you need to

A) Create your own tunes
B) locate freebies from somewhere
or
C) purchase tunes via email

The Edge Insight to the best of my knowledge will NOT do what you are asking.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. Not sure if you remember me I was a member of the diesel page back in the day. You probably remember my dad Dennis Bradford. But I have an old 6.5 with your lift pump and boost controller as well trying to sell it though. Got to buy more duramax parts��. If I am reading right the insight cts 2 can act as a switch for preloaded EFI live tunes. I would actually love to learn how to right my own as well. Thanks again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
You were right because it's the 2006 and uses the same ecm as the LBZ the insight can't switch tunes like the old ecms. So I am stuck with the efi live and switch setup. No biggie I guess. I will still probably get the insight just for the monitoring purposes.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
You can either find a used ECM from a LBZ truck simliar to yours(if the tune file isn't close, you can have issues with features like the fuel gauge, cruise, and 4X4), 2nd find a VIN number from a truck like yours but with an LBZ, and have a dealer flash your ECM to it(you may have problems with this as I believe they are now using the DOC for flashes which verifies the VIN number BEFORE it will flash it. And it verifies the VIN number via the central programming module[airbag controller]), or 3rd get a custom tune. I know some places charge less, but most tuners do get around $350 for a single tune. You may be bale to luck out and find somebody with a V2 that is willing to flash yours for the cost of a VIN license($125) plus a little extra. The 06+ ECM requires a hard wired switch as your last post says you found out. Yes you can use several different displays for gauge readouts for them, or put in your own gauges. I will say the LBZ tune is not going to do much for you except up your peak power slightly over the LLY calibration. I've done them and it is a noticeable difference, but at part throttle you won't see much of anything, and milage will remain the same for the most part. You can get custom tuning that WILL help your milage as well as your boost your power output with EFILIVE. EFILIVE is nothign more than software and an interface that allows you to either flash in your own custom tunes, custom tunes you purchased or obtained from somebody else. It does not come with tunes, or any modifed tunes when you buy it, just gives you the ability to modify the tuneing either legally or illegally, so beware when you make changes and have to smog it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya i tried the dealer route they were not willing to do it here.I need to sell my old truck and use the proceeds to get EFI Live. It sounds like the best option. Fuel mileage is more important then smoke to me. but having said that a little smoke now and then is fun as well. The insight is also on my list. maybe exhaust.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ya i tried the dealer route they were not willing to do it here.I need to sell my old truck and use the proceeds to get EFI Live. It sounds like the best option. Fuel mileage is more important then smoke to me. but having said that a little smoke now and then is fun as well. The insight is also on my list. maybe exhaust.
NOW hes added an exhaust!!!! the diesel bug is starting to bite! in due time it will have more MODS.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts