Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my front end might be saggin a little on my 05 2500hd 4x4 I am stock still with the 245/75/16 tires, my question is can anyone tell me their measurement from the ground to the bottom edge of their wheel well mine is 37 1/4 but seems lower than some other trucks like mine. I have my new 17x8's sittin in the garage and I am planning on leveling with the cognito kit here shortly, just trying to get an idea of how much cranking I am going to have to do, I have about 1/2 t0 3/4 of threads on mt keys left. Thanks

Also if you have leveled your truck and have 285's I would like to see what it looks like. Thanks again

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Cant remember my measurements before/after (have them somewhere...center of hub to fender more repeatable...no tire size/squish out of measurements) but check out photos with Cognito and 285s.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice truck, how hard was it putting on the kit I am thinking of doing the same to save some money also planning on cranking myself did you crank yours and if so how was that.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
That seems pretty close to what my measurement was w/285s on stockers when i started cranking my tbars on my 03.. Havent touched anything yet on my 07..

·
Registered
54 Posts
I checked mine for you and I got 37 1/4'' from the ground to the bottom of the wheel well. I have a 2006 on stock 245's/75/16's with no modifications.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Cranked mine up just shy of 2" over stock, pics in garage of 285 on 17x8 4-5/8" backspace. Zip tie the parking brake cable and had to reshape the plastic air dam

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
062500HDBlue;1601308; said:
To get sag on a 05 you would have to be putting on alot of miles with a plow to accomplish that...it should take quite a while.
No plow but already have 37000 miles and have only had it 18 months I need a beater for work. thanks for the moral boost

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
klm2500hd;1601399; said:
Cranked mine up just shy of 2" over stock, pics in garage of 285 on 17x8 4-5/8" backspace. Zip tie the parking brake cable and had to reshape the plastic air dam
Like your truck, I have seen it before on here used it to show my wife what my truck will look like pretty soon she liked it also. Thanks

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
i think from center cap to fender i was either 23 or 23.5". how many inches you plan on cranking?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd like to level it but that would mean about 2 1/2 inches, anyone know how many turns to achieve that much lift.

·
Registered
960 Posts
You get approximately 1/4" for every full turn. So 10 turns to get 2.5". That might be a bit much with the stock torsion keys from what I've been reading. You may also want to get lower shock extensions for the front shocks too. Then you'll need to get an alignment because when you start messing with the frontend geometry, it's cheap insurance to not ruin tires.

I've been on here for about a week asking everyone and reading a lot as I'm getting new tires soon and want to go bigger (either 265/75's or 255/85's) and wanted to raise the front end up a bit. Most recommend the same thing: the Cognito kit if you can afford it. But at least the shock extensions and an alignment.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
definitely doing the cognito, just need to order it, www.trailduty.com seems to have the best deal can get the kit and longer shocks for 540 total.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Out of curiosity how much thread do you need for ten turns I have about 1/2 on one and 3/4 on the other

·
Registered
960 Posts
I can't answer that one. But it doesn't sound like you have much. You may hae to get the newer style keys that adjust the front up 2" without making any other adjustments. I believe it has the end repositioned to give greater heigth.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My wheels are 17x8 with a 4.5 backspace 0 offset planning on getting 285/70/17 after leveling do you guys think I will have any rubbing issues

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
most likely you will need keys, some get away with the stock ones but my self only got 1.5" out of the stock keys.

with 2.5" lift and those wheels and tires will probably require minor trimming, probably alittle on the rear liner and you front valance.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How hard is it to change the keys

·
Registered
960 Posts
To remove the keys you will need to jack the front of the truck up to get the wheels off of the ground. Then there is a c-clamp tool that takes the rest of the pressure off of the key. Now the adjuster bolt can be removed and the torsion bar slid out of the way. Then the key will fall out and you just slide the new one up in there and reverse the process.

GM's green torsion key, which is found on their 1500 trucks, is supposed to lift our trucks 1.5" to 2" with no adjustment to the key at all. That's what I'm going to be doing along with lower shock extension brackets before I put on new tires (either 255/85R16 or 285/75R16 on the factory rim).

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
I got 3" out of my stock keys...so try stockers 1st.

I here you really aught to get the correct torsion bar c-clamp tool (not a regular c-clamp) when removing the keys...there loaded with at about a couple thousand pounds of pressure...carefull!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts