Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two questions...

1. What does it take to get the stock exhaust system completely out from the downpipe back ? Looks like everything can come apart and out with the exception of the section with the cat... There is a crossbeam or two in the way.. One of them looks like an easy removal, the question is does the one that holds the Torsion Bar ends need to come out too ?

2. I am getting a code regarding a bad glow plug (will replace soon). Every time I hit the remote start the truck starts up then immediately shuts back off, are these two problems related ? Have had it shut off twice now when started with key as well.

·
Registered
195 Posts
2. Indeed remote start is disabled when a glow plug code is set. #4 went on me when it was -20C out, the cold leather really made appreciate my remote start.
The other day #8 went out and remote start is disabled again, gotta fix that before it gets cold again.

·
Vendor
9,678 Posts
I have two questions...

1. What does it take to get the stock exhaust system completely out from the downpipe back ? Looks like everything can come apart and out with the exception of the section with the cat... There is a crossbeam or two in the way.. One of them looks like an easy removal, the question is does the one that holds the Torsion Bar ends need to come out too ?

2. I am getting a code regarding a bad glow plug (will replace soon). Every time I hit the remote start the truck starts up then immediately shuts back off, are these two problems related ? Have had it shut off twice now when started with key as well.

The best way is to split at the 3 bolt and the 4 bolt flanges so that you have 3 pieces. The cat pipe, the DPF, and the muffler/tailpipe. The DPF lines go over the crossmember so you'll need to remove stay bracket and then it will drop right out. Muffler and tailpipe will come forward and just squeeze out. cat pipe will also go forward and JUST squeeze by the torsion bar.

Much easier on a hoist. Not sure how well this will work on the ground.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx for exhaust answers.

Have an ongoing saga with the glow plug, I put a new one in and reset computer. Still getting the cel intermittently. It will come on at random while driving after cleared. Seems to almost always trigger itself if I attempt remote start. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I would take a sawzall and cut the exhaust out, easy and fast. The last one I did the bolts were all seized in place. I lost to much skin and a finger nail to worry about saving the exhaust.

You may have an issue with your glow plug module which is burning out your glow plugs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts