Diesel Place banner

stock diesel vs. stock gasser

5K views 19 replies 18 participants last post by  speedy03 
#1 ·
If you had three identical trucks completely stock (identical as could be with only differences being ones required by the engines...) a 6.0, an 8.1, and a 6.6 - In a race, which would win?

off the line?

0-60?

1/4 mile?

#3 ·
I would think the 8.1 would win all. The 6.0 doesnt have the hp and torque the 8.1 or Max have. The Max is made for pulling not racing. But.......if you start putting tunes and mods on them. Then the Max starts to really come alive!!

#4 ·
I have read several places that a couple of magazines tested the Dmax and the 8.1, and the Dmax out ran the gasser. Just what sticks in my memory.

#5 ·
All three would be really close! The 8.1L has more hp and torque, but the allison really saps the power versus the 6.0L. The dmax would be last off the line but would catch up in the end. On a stock dmax turbo lag is a b!tch.

#6 ·
I think a 1/4 mile race between the 8.1 and the DMax would be close. the 8.1 has more horses but the DMax more torque.

Put a trailer behind the trucks and see who would win then?

Make the race a 50 miler and limit both to 3 gallons of fuel.

#9 ·
Ultimate would be a Regular cab 2WD 8.1 with a 4L80 and 4.10's.

The Allison just taps way too much power for racing.

Somewhere I read about 8.1 Suburbans (4L80) whipping up on the otherwise equal Pickups with the Allison. And at a large weight disadvantage.

Still cant beat the bang for the buck that the Duramax has.

#10 ·
Check out this page, they tested some HD trucks and a stock 8.1 and Dmax w/ trailers.

http://www.thedieselpage.com/features/pulloff03.htm

The Dmax was 2 mph faster on the same hillclimb w/ 10k trailer behind.

A 4.10 geared 8.1L does a really fine job, but it is not faster than a stock 2500HD/3500 truck equipped with a Duramax 6600 and 3.73 gears.

John Kennedy kicked all of them.

#11 ·
What elevation was that test done at?

How does elevation affect the power of a normally aspirated engine versus the power of a turbocharged engine?

I'm all for comparison tests, but that one was stacked in favor of the 'Max.

#12 ·
Yes it was and it only one by a small margine.

#13 ·
I have a 03 c/c s/b 4x4 duramax w/allison, had a 02 c/c s/b 4x4 8.1 w/allison. Both with 3.73 gears and 285/75r16 all terrains. My best fried has an 03 gmc c/c s/b 4x4 6.0 with 3.73 gears & 285's as well. the 6.0 and 8.1 were almost even with the 6 just edging out. The duramax out ran the 6.0. So the run down would be the duramax, 6.0 and the the 8.1. In the pulling department the its the dura, 8.1, then the 6.0 of coarse, was there ever a question there.

#14 ·
In a 1/8 mile the 8.1 now if's and' or butts. But then the turbo kicks in and in the 1/4 mile the Dmax hands down.

This after owning both equal equipped trucks (except engines- dmax-8.1)

cmc

#15 ·
They ran just this comparison in Motortrend a few years ago. The 8.1 ran one tenth faster to 60 than the DMAX (8.1 versus 8.2). That's what got me fixated on the duramax when it first came out.

Of course those interested in performance woulld modify their toys and that's where the DMAX kicks A$%. I spent 14 grand on motor, supercharger and lots of other stuff to make my suburban do 0-60 in 7 flat. Chipped DMAXES can do that and better for less than a grand!

Guess that's why I bought one!

#17 ·
I got a 6.0 2003, my buddy just got a dmax 03, we lined up at stop light leaving work one night, he had the jump but I ran him down in long run so I think that it is tit for tat overall, until he got chip and exhaust. we tried it again and it was not pretty, He ran all over me. so if any body knows what to do w/ the 6.0 please let me know I already have exhaust, but dont know what to do else wise.

#19 ·
hdman,

I've had the 6.0, the 6.6 and the 8.1 in a burb. They all have their good and bad points. However, you wanted to know about racing stock trucks. When there new it's really close. The 6.6 will be the pig, the 8.1 will be a pig and the 6.0 will be 95%. Once they all have say.... 20k the difference will increase. The 6.0 parts, 4L60 trans ect, are lighter than the 8.1 burb, 4L85E trans ect, and the Duramax, Allison ect, which plays a role in the race. {reciprocating mass thing}

Ok, here we go................

1/8 th mile----- 1st= 6.0 2nd= 8.1 3rd=Dmax

1/4 mile.... just reverse the order.

However, if you're just "kick'n it" from a run, the 8.1 will probably out run the lot.

If you would.........why the question?

Burner---------->

#20 ·
GasGetter said:
I got a 6.0 2003, my buddy just got a dmax 03, we lined up at stop light leaving work one night, he had the jump but I ran him down in long run so I think that it is tit for tat overall, until he got chip and exhaust. we tried it again and it was not pretty, He ran all over me. so if any body knows what to do w/ the 6.0 please let me know I already have exhaust, but dont know what to do else wise.
www.ls1tech.com has good information about GM gassers.westerns is a good tune to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.