Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<DIV>I though the stock alternator was 105 amp, I remember reading somewhere that the stock alternator on a Duramax was a 145 amp.</DIV>
<DIV>Which one is it?</DIV>

·
Registered
262 Posts
105 amp unless you have the snowplow package.

P.S. Lapeer? You must be pretty close as I am in Oregon Twp.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Ok,

105 amp, is the stock Duramax alternator and 145 amp is for the snow plow option.

What option requires twin 105 amp alternators?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Has anyone ever ran a Mean Green alternator. They are supposed to be long lasting and you can get about any amperage you want. I have read about them but never knew anyone who tried one. Just want to here some expert opinions.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have seen a trick twin 300 amp setup custom built by Dom Irragi.

I am looking to go with twin 200 amp alternators (modified stock units) as that should be enough.

Anyone know of any sources for high quality alternator modifications?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Twin 300 amp alternator kit?

With a 600 amp capacity, does it include its own welding cables?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Oldman,

My dealer gave me the " Warranty Speech" when I told him I was going to put on the second alternator myself. I wonder how big a stroke he'd have if he saw a 600amp welder sittin in that second bracket??
I wonder how good they are. Any experience?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Does that "warranty speech" apply to the addition of a second GM alternator or just to another brand of component? I would think that if you used GM parts it would be covered. However, doesn't the computer have to be reprogrammed?

·
Registered
100 Posts
tundracamper,

That was for genuine GM parts right off their shelves!!! Sort of like "How dare you work on our truck!" Needless to say, I'll find another dealer. Maybe they won't even miss the couple of vehicles a year I USED to buy from them.
Happy motoring, Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts