Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, I read this fourm every day, To cold to be out side right now. It seems like we spend a lot of money on these trucks when we buy them with the expectation of a truck that will last a long time. Then I read that I need (should) install a better fuel filtering system, I need ( should) use a fuel additive. I need (should ) change fuel filters more often than the owners manual states. Not to mention, Change oem shocks,( they are junk from the get go) ect.

All the above should be factors GM delt with before production of these trucks ( just my opinon ) All the add-ons like Chips, Bigger tires and wheels, exhaust systems are nice, But do they cause other issues? (injector problems)

My question is, Does any one just buy these trucks and drive them, follow the owners manual for mainteance and get away with it?

Then again Maybe I just have too much time on my hands.

Come on SUMMER

Inquiring Minds want to know

Edited by: PAUL3500

·
Registered
145 Posts
My thought is the same about GM dealing with these issues, ( with that being said ).

My new truck hasn't arrived yet and I have allready purchased a Nicktane fuel filtration unit and will probably also install a Cat water fuel seperator on this brand new truck. I suppose many people may ask WHY?

I have read evrything that I have come across on this forum and others and with 26 years of driving big diesel trucks, and having a father who was a diesel mechanic for over 30 years know it is necessary ( I have had water issues over the years ). I believe the need for fuel filtration for diesel fuel is a must.....( ditry fuel ) and, I plan to keep this new truck for at least 20 years probably about 450,000 miles. I know with proper fuel filtration that I won't prevent any design failures, but will allow the fuel system to operate in a environmet that should keep it in good shape for 300,000- 400,000 mile range using aditives to provide the proper lubricity.

I personally will not do any major mods on this truck as I believe it will take it's toll over that long of a duration. As far as maintenace goes. I will go by the book on most items but will adjust accordingly to my driving schedule. Fuel & oil filters will be one area that I personally will not skimp on. I do ALL my own vehicle work and once the warranty is over it will be the same for this truck.

It is to bad they do use cheap shocks, but I will let them replace them under warranty.

In ending.. I did buy this truck knowing the issues that might be had ( injector problems ), but I do believe when they are corrected if needed this will be one long lasting truck with proper maintenance.

Fran

·
Registered
391 Posts
JUST TRADE FOR A NEW 1 -B4 WARRENTY IS UP

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hi Paul3500,
Ever see people drink beer and watch a football match ? Gee, the NFL is missing out on some talent. All they need to do is pull the scouts from the college fields and visit the local bars. Six, sometimes 30 guys who could coach better, run faster, make passes and touch downs, even though they havn't walked a dog in 25 years.

I think we have some of the same syndrome here. Any number of people who can 2nd guess GM, Ford, Chrysler, Isuzu, Fram, NAPA, Wix, etc. on design and maintenance issues.
Gotta put on bigger tires, stiffer shocks, finer fuel filtration, open up the air cleaner - yep, we're all SO good at shade tree mechanics we'll just redesign the truck

Who, me ? Nahh, everyone else.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts