Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the steering wheel was starting to be lil left while driving. So today I jacked up the front and the left front wheel had some resistance. First thing I check is caliper bolts and pad slide. The grease was thin on the bolts but zero corrosion. So fresh grease and back in and the pads slide freely without the caliper. I open the bleeder and fluid does not shoot out so I assume the hose is good. Remove the brake hose and push the plungers in to expel all the old fluid. Bleed and refill with fresh fluid so hopefully it is good.

I am wondering if I should just replace them ?

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I noticed the steering wheel was starting to be lil left while driving. So today I jacked up the front and the left front wheel had some resistance. First thing I check is caliper bolts and pad slide. The grease was thin on the bolts but zero corrosion. So fresh grease and back in and the pads slide freely without the caliper. I open the bleeder and fluid does not shoot out so I assume the hose is good. Remove the brake hose and push the plungers in to expel all the old fluid. Bleed and refill with fresh fluid so hopefully it is good.

I am wondering if I should just replace them ?
Hit them with the temp gun after driving, if one is sticking it will be higher temp. I just had one on my 06 do that, piston was rusted and sticking.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have a temp gun in the van somewhere. I usually have to pull over at least a couple times a trip to practice my snake wrangling so might as well check temps also.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Only 50 miles in on a 500 mile day and the left side is already 20*+ hotter. I am not going to chance getting stranded so back home I go.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am really disappointed in the quality of GM replacement parts. I replaced the original calipers at 340,000 with no sticking issues and these only have 115,000 miles and need replaced. Even the quality of the bleeder screw is crap where no wrench fits it well. Between the leaf springs and now these calipers GM must be whoring it out to the lowest bidder. There is a significant difference between the original parts that came on the van to new replacement GM parts that are suppose to be the same.

·
Premium Member
17,847 Posts
I've got 15 of the pickups at any one time. Done more than my share of brake jobs, and, never a caliper for a sticking piston. We're in the rust belt and blenders tend to rust solid and, of course the slides and pad brackets.

At 13 years old, I'm more inclined to blame the rubber hose, or the choice of grease on the slides.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hoses were changed last time and they have not been pinched or anything. If the hose was not allowing fluid to return to the master then fluid should shoot out under pressure when the bleeder is opened. CRC synthetic brake & caliper grease is the same stuff I have used for years with no issues.

·
Premium Member
17,847 Posts
Have you mounted the caliper without the pads to verify free sliding?

I started having issues using the CRC grease with my aggressive drivers. Seems the heat causes it to soften the rubber.
I've been using 3m silicone caliper grease ever since.
And, the aftermarket rubber boots and bore insert are of a different material than the acdelco ones. Aftermarket ones tend to gum up faster, especially with the CRC gresse

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Caliper slides freely. I had used Ac Delco boots and inserts. I do not ride my brakes and the grease did not gum up after 3 years and 115,000 miles.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I've got 15 of the pickups at any one time. Done more than my share of brake jobs, and, never a caliper for a sticking piston. We're in the rust belt and blenders tend to rust solid and, of course the slides and pad brackets.

At 13 years old, I'm more inclined to blame the rubber hose, or the choice of grease on the slides.
The caliper I just changed one piston was so rusted I could hardly compress it, it was an original so I can’t complain.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I won't even try to loosen the bleeders, cause they'll either snap off or strip.
I was going to say a hose that swelled up inside could be preventing the fluid going back, but you said there was no pressure. Don't baby the van. Jam on the brakes a few times to loosen things up!

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2 new Raybestos premium calipers showed today and there is a problem. Made in China is the first disappointment I noticed then when I opened the box that was labeled "right" it had a left side caliper. This really sucks because I wanted to replace them together at once. I am only 2 months behind right now so why should I have anything go right.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I give up. It still drags after new caliper with bracket. After just 10 miles it is already 20* hotter than the other side. Opened both front bleeders and the flow is the same. I guess replace the hose and see what happens.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
GM has used the same brake hose from 2003-2019 so that should be easy to find right ? I am checking with everyone in the largest city in Montana and nobody has 1 on the shelf. Oh but hey they can order one for me and be here in a couple of days.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
GM has used the same brake hose from 2003-2019 so that should be easy to find right ? I am checking with everyone in the largest city in Montana and nobody has 1 on the shelf. Oh but hey they can order one for me and be here in a couple of days.
I always change the hose when doing a caliper, been burned by that before.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just got the new hose put on and....................it still drags ! That leaves us with the ABS and I did not consider that since I had no codes and no previous issues with it. If it was a master cylinder issue then both front brakes should be dragging.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update: So I take the brake line off at the ABS for this wheel. While it is off I push on the brake pedal once to purge that port and push in the caliper pistons to kinda back flush the line. Put line back on and hook up Tech 2. I run every ABS test there is and everything checks out ok. Auto bleed with Tech 2 and manual bleed again. Go for 2 test drives @ 20 miles each. Both times temps are within 5* of each other and the problem side is now the cooler side. WTF !

So do I trust it or should I replace the ABS unit ?

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Update: So I take the brake line off at the ABS for this wheel. While it is off I push on the brake pedal once to purge that port and push in the caliper pistons to kinda back flush the line. Put line back on and hook up Tech 2. I run every ABS test there is and everything checks out ok. Auto bleed with Tech 2 and manual bleed again. Go for 2 test drives @ 20 miles each. Both times temps are within 5* of each other and the problem side is now the cooler side. WTF !

So do I trust it or should I replace the ABS unit ?
5 degree apart is close enough I wouldn’t do anything. Drive it some more and keep checking it.
Does it pull at all?

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
5 degree apart is close enough I wouldn’t do anything. Drive it some more and keep checking it.
Does it pull at all?
With 25 mph sustained winds and gusts up to 50 mph it makes checking for pull a lil difficult at the moment.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
60+ miles today and temps are within 1* of each other. So far so good and I am going to hit it hard next week and put on an easy 1,000 miles.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts