Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is having to step on gas pedal to get it to start normal for the 6.2? All the diesels Ive run all fired right up but this truck you have to step on the gas like a carbarated truck, is this normal?

:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
The visor on my van has starting instructions. It reads something like - if it's above 32deg F, press pedal half way then crank. If it's below 32, press fully then crank.

-zetan

·
Registered
382 Posts
I don't know if it's "normal" but it's what I have to do:rolleyes: When it fires though it jumps to it!:muahaha:

·
Registered
76 Posts
setting fast idle solenoid

Other posts on this site have stated that the fast idle solenoid is not strong enough to open the throttle itself and needs the throttle to be opened manually before startup.

·
Registered
735 Posts
This time last year, after I got my truck, I had a few mornings, when it would start and quit, then would not fire again. (almost like flooded) untl I used silicone to start it. I had attibuted it to bad glow plugs, and vowed to replace them before this winter. Well... as luck would have it, I did not get that done. But.... I had stumbled upon the decal on the visor. Using those instructions, my truck has started at 6°F with at least 2 more likely 3 bad glow plugs. I have not had the 'no start flooded' condition at all this winter. I have only plugged it in like 2 or 3 times even.

food for thought...

·
Registered
7,434 Posts
Actually you should floor it to crank. You want as much fuel injected as possible. Most pumps automatically go to full fuel without your help internally.
Some do not. Setting the idle on the high side will promote more fuel. Low idle can tend to decrease fuel if you don't depress the throttle. Sticking metering valve will tend to stay in the no fuel position requiring more throttle pedal. Set the idle up and if that doesn't work for you try some Stanadyne Jr. additive.

·
Eagle Eyes
1,334 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
What are the exact intructions on the visor? I have the same problem with mine and thought it was a IP or fuel problem. I also noticed I can't adjust my high speed idle in, if I turn any harder the pushrod will break off! Time for a new solenoid?

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
I believe the instructions are as follows, but I'll check later to make sure.

"0 to 32 degrees................................. half throttle.

Below zero........................................ full throttle"

I don't know if having to hold throttle is normal, but I always do on the first start of the day.

·
Registered
706 Posts
i always plug my block heater in when it is cold or even cool out at night because it fires up the moment i turn the key as if it was a hot summer day and i don't even touch the pedal. But the few times i started in cool weather without the block heater i did have to give it some throttle other wise it would start for just a moment and then stall.
I can't imagine why anyone would cold start without a block heater, it just seems so much harder on the engine.
Paul

·
Eagle Eyes
1,334 Posts
thats something that hasnt really be talked about, is the temperature. hotter it is outside, the less throttle you can give it to get a good start. in summer it takes very little it seems. on the hottest of days last year, I could go no throttle and withen a 2 second crank it would start up.

also in the winter..it starts easier if its been driven recently compaired to sitting. i dont know if there is still heat left in the engine or its a fuel thing or what i dont know. just what ive noticed with mine.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Grease Fire, sometimes you dont have a choice about cold-starting without plugging in. Not everywhere/everyone has power available.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What would suck is if you always plug in a block heater and one day after sitting in the parking lot for a few hours you find out you have some bad glow plugs while its -5 degrees out. lol

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I have always started the GM diesels with the throttle open. Just works better on most engines. Doesn't hurt a thing. Promise! Some engines will start and run without touching the pedal, others require some "help".

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
QUOTE]one day after sitting in the parking lot for a few hours you find out you have some bad glow plugs while its -5 degrees out.[/QUOTE]

Hahaha.... Sounds like a good theoretical situation, but I know what that feels like. Only difference for me was that instead of -5, it was -9. I got it started anyway...

Starting without a block heater is rough, but sometimes you have to do it. I had no choice.

Now what would really be bad is if instead of in a parking lot, you were in the middle of a tundra (no,not the little foreign truck, that would be bad too!) with no cell phone and no radio, and the truck was your only means of getting to food and/or civilization!

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
all ours get half to full throttle when starting ever since new. my 84 let me down when it was about four years old the glow plug senser quit while up in the corner of ne ore. during elk season. would not fire it would only cycle once . we pulled our trailer house up to grill and let exhaust from trailer furnace shoot into grill with aid of tarp it was luckey to be ten out. after about two hours of heating it fired drove it home did not shut off for more that half hour all the way home.luckey was not only pu at camp. If it would of been a stick i would have towed it a bit to see if i could of got heat up. never had to try that.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If it would of been a stick i would have towed it a bit to see if i could of got heat up. never had to try that.

I never tried that either but I did hook up a 3 hp bigggs to the table saw motor to try and get it to start and it did get warm farely quick by just spinning around, so Im sure it would work. You could probably build a fire and after it burns down put a few hot coals under you truck, unless you have a 2wd and not put to many and boil the motor oil. lol That was some smooth thinking with the exhaust.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
some buddies of mine I grew up with had a trucking company and when it was just 3 trucks the brothers drove them. they got caught it one of those north dakota cold snaps and had to shut it down at a truck stop for a couple of days due to road closures. went to start the kenworth up and would barley crank and no plug in close that was not allready in use. walked to store bought a bag or two of brickets started a couple of fires under motor and trans dragged tarps around a let simmer couple of hours got fired up and on the road. learned never to stop with out plug in handy and carry small electric heater for frozen brake line . said when he pulled off of brickets other drivers were scrambling for unburnt coals

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
some buddies of mine I grew up with had a trucking company and when it was just 3 trucks the brothers drove them. they got caught it one of those north dakota cold snaps and had to shut it down at a truck stop for a couple of days due to road closures. went to start the kenworth up and would barley crank and no plug in close that was not allready in use. walked to store bought a bag or two of brickets started a couple of fires under motor and trans dragged tarps around a let simmer couple of hours got fired up and on the road. learned never to stop with out plug in handy and carry small electric heater for frozen brake line . said when he pulled off of brickets other drivers were scrambling for unburnt coals
Thats a good story, I think honda has these little 2 stroke generators that would be good for that. Fire up the little beast for a hour or 2 to warm the engine. Now there putting those little engines on trucks that use the same cooling system and run off the same diesel tank. They are a little generator, like 5hp so they dont let the big engine run and burn fuel. So if he had that Im sure he would have been fine unless he shut it off too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts