Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 C/C, 4X2 and have had play in the steering wheel since new 9,000 mi now. It feels like maybe the nut at the end of the wheel is loose or something. It's not real bad but annoying. I heard this is common, from a buddy but would like to know if there has been some problems with bearings ect. I would try and check the nut myself, but i'm afraid of messing up the air bag.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I haven't heard about anything being loose. It could be the inetermediate shaft lube problem. That kind of feels like something loose behind the steering wheel.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks GMCSID.

I did get the truck into the Chevy dealer today and they checked the steering wheel bolt. The bolt wasn't loose, so I had to make an appointment to have looked into further. Sure feels like a loose bearing or clamp up towards the top of the steering column.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have an 03 C/C, 4x4 and there is definitely play in the steering wheel when you turn the wheel full in either a left or right direction. You will really notice it if you turn the wheel full, turn off the engine, then check the free play in the gear box.

My gear box started leaking within the first two weeks after I bought the truck. The gear box also appeared to be binding up on turns. The dealer changed out the gear box but the free play was still there on the new box. I've also checked this on new trucks on the lot and the play is there. When the steering wheel is straight there is no play, just on the full turns.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply NOTSDALE. I am awhere of the play your talking about, but my play is when the wheel is straight or turned it doesn,t matter. It is not play when turning the wheel, but play in the steering shaft. Like the shaft is to small inside the bearing, just feels like a loose steering wheel bolt!

I'm taking it in next week, so hopefully they will fix it.

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
Mine has some play in it and feels like it is loose. I took it to the dealer and they said it was fine. Not sure what to think. Oh well, just hope that it does not break or something comes loose(r).

·
Registered
648 Posts
GMC2500HD

I did the same thing. Thought it was the "intermediate shaft" thingy. Felt bummed. Oh well, 30,000 mi of warranty left for it to bomb.

·
Registered
50 Posts
TO ALL WITH STEERING WHEEL CLUNK OR PLAY

First of all I am not a Tech, although my dealer thinks I should be. I have had steering problems with my o2 since day one & now have 84K. Dealer has replaced all they can: steering box, 2 intermediate shafts, lubed 3 times etc. I finally dove into it myself when the dealer gave up. What I found listed below may only exist in my truck and should not be expected to solve the problem/s in all vehichles.

1) The 2 pc. cast aluminum yoke that is bolted to the steering column and dash frame with the other end attached to the tilt portion of the wheel assembly. The two are attached to one another by means of 2 - 3/8" dia. steel dowel pins. What I found was .015" freeplay which would allow the steering wheel to slide from side to side with a noticeable audible and felt clunk.

Fix: I fabricated a .010" shim made from brass shim stock and shaped much like an E clip. O.D. of the shim was around 5/8". Took a pair of needle nose pliers and inserted it around the left pin between the two yokes. No more side to side play and no more clunk.

2) Practically every time the wheel would be turned 180 deg. there was another audible and felt clunk. Found that the air bag module was so loose within the nylon bushings it literally fell from one side to the other when the wheel was turned. These bag modules are heavy, and can definitely make a clunk you can feel and hear in the wheel. You can tell if this is a problem on your truck simply by grabing the air bag module and see if you can move it up, down, or left and right. You'll know if you have a problem.

Fix: I won't get into details on this one because you can run the risk of serious injury if you do not follow proper procedures for air bag removal and assembly. If the pins are shimmed too tight, the module might bind and cause the horn to lock on, or not work at all. I'll just say I shimmed the pins and my steering assembly has been clunk free for 30K.

Hope this helps,

Billy

Edited by: bhowell

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Billy, I hope the dealer can fix mine because there is no way i'm gonna tear into it like you did being under warranty. I am glad you solved the problem with your truck and your right, sometimes if you want it fixed right you need to do it your self!

It's not a big deal but for $45,000, you would think it would feel solid in the steering wheel. Who wants a loose one!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have the same problem going on. It definitely seems to be in the steering wheel itself. The dealer has ordered a new steering wheel. I don't think this is it. I think bhowell is onto my problem. It seems to me that it is right in the tilt assembly portion. I should hear from the dealer this week and have the wheel replaced. For some reason, the mechanic seemed to think there was play right in the wheel itself.

By the way, they tried that lubing the shaft. That wasn't it. I knew it but had to let them try.

I hate tilt wheels. Wish the whole steering assembly just went up-and-down like many other cars. They always feel more solid than tilt wheel design.

I will update on whether the new steering wheel fixes the problem.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I took my truck in and they said it was the shroud that holds the bearing in place at the wheel. They replaced it, but the the problem is still there. The only differance is the indentations in my leather seats from setting the parts all over them, grease on my visor and floor carpet! Thanks mechanic, I only paid $45,000 for it!

Then the service writer said that the play is suppose to be there, we checked a couple of other trucks, some had it some didn't.

Another faulty design from Chevy. I'm beganing to think I should have bought a Dodge now.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I checked a Hummer today which looks like the same steering wheel settup and it had no play.

I think there are alot of Chevy/GMC trucks out there with this problem. I think most people just drive their trucks and don't pay close attention like some of us!

·
Registered
50 Posts
As per my previous post, trust me! If you couldn't feel or hear the clunks I had in my steering, you'd be lacking a few of your God given senses.

Billy

·
Registered
43 Posts
I hate tilt steering. Wish it would just go away. German engineers know to make the whole steering linkage go up and down which keeps everything solid. I am pretty sure the play is totally right in the angle where it pivots for the tilt steering.

Another week to wait though. They sent a beige leather steering wheel instead.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I took mine in again to a differant dealer and they said it was normal play. They told me they had checked other trucks that also had play!

So I said " So since GM messed up it's normal".

They refused to replace any parts, but I did get some nice scratches free of charge.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well, the dealer replaced the steering wheel. No surprise that it didn't fix anything. I wanted the Regional GM Tech to look at it. According to Chevy customer support, this has to be requested by the manager of the service dept at your dealer. He said that it is normal so he wouldn't setup the appointment. Mine is really noisy. In fact, anyone who wants to hear it can call me on the Onstar and I can let you hear it.

Another tech, non-GM person, verified the problem is in the coupler of the steering shaft right where the tilt is located. He said it is normal for a truck with about 80,000 miles on it.

I am now told to take my truck to another dealer to see if they will replace this under warranty. I am not sure why Chevy can't force a regional rep to look at it. I will play the game for another month before I start looking into seeing if it would be possible to replace the steering pieces with a solid one thus losing the tilt wheel. I just am not sure of the positioning of the wheel if the shaft is totally straight. Plan to look into this shortly. I know I can find someone to machine a new steering shaft. It can't be much different than making an axle for an ATV.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know exactly what you are going through, I took my truck in several times to no evail. They said it was normal, which I didn't buy. I have had several anoying problems with the truck, but no engine or trans problems. Some of the dislikes were, loose steering wheel, weak sheet metal at top of talegate cable pins(bending), poor A/C and dust always blowing through the vents, mirrors(side view/rear view) rattling.

I sold my 04 and bought a Ford 6.0 and took a chance on the engine problems and so far it has been great. I just got tired of dealing with Chevy.

·
Registered
511 Posts
LOL, If you're easily annoyed by the little things, you're going to regret that Ford!

Im so glad to be rid of my 6.0 that the very minor things with my Chevy are meaningless.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well, the 2nd dealer (JBA Chevrolet in Glen Burnie, MD) fixed the problem. I called the service manager and explained my situation and just asked that he personally look at it. I said just give it to me straight as to whether this problem can be fixed or if it is just an inherent design flaw that I will have to live with. Took the truck in and he came out and I showed him how I could move the wheel up and down and it made clicking noises. He immediately said it was a bearing assembly right beneath the steering wheel. They ordered the parts and fixed it about a week later. It has now been 2 weeks and I am finally loving my truck 100%. It would have been about a $400 repair job but I am still under warranty. The part was around $330 and the labor was $70. It could cost someone not under warranty a little more since I think the labor rates are higher than what the manufacturer allows (kind of like an HMO with doctor billing rates).

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I guess you just have to find a compitent dealer, which is hard to do these days. Glad they fixed yours.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts