Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone documented the steps to remove and replace the lights in the steering wheel controls? Can these be replcaed with an LED so they don't burn out in 2 years?

Thanks,

Bill

·
Registered
143 Posts
There's a thread in do it yourself section...found it...here's the info..

I recently lost 2 of my lights on my steering wheel controls , of course i come to this great sight to find how to remove the housing from the steering wheel . (They pop right out with a little nudging)

Once you have the switch housing out of the steering wheel you will need a small screwdriver to pop off the rear cover to get to the little circuit board . Once opened you will find 2 little micro lamps w/ a blue plastic cover over the bulbs.Take the covers off and save them for later .

The repair for these lights are very simple , you have access to a soldering gun.
The bulbs can be purchased at Radio Shack .They cost me $1.49. the part #is 7219 Micro lamps ,12volt/60 ma bulbs . There are 2 in a pack you will need a pack for each switch

Remove the old bulb from the board, save the little plastic bulb holder and reuse for the replacement bulb . solder to the circuit board and you should be good . Remove any solder that may be laying on the board this may short out a circuit , so be neat when soldering

·
Registered
321 Posts
ive always just replaced the switches, but im sure someone has had them apart. as far as getting them out you will need a flat head pocket driver to lightly pry them out. the harness that plugs in is usually short so i use a pick to disconect the connector. once out you can pull some of the slack to make the install a bit easyer

too slow with my responce.....there you go

·
Registered
923 Posts
I was just living with one out, now I'm off to buy bulbs. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LED replacements?

Does anyone know if there is a compatible LED that will work in this location? I think LED's have a life of 100,000 hours or something ridiculously high like that. Maybe we could even put in colored ones for effect :D

·
Banned
3,234 Posts
I think wiring LEDs involves using resistors as well, so space could be a bit cramped.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a compatible LED that will work in this location? I think LED's have a life of 100,000 hours or something ridiculously high like that. Maybe we could even put in colored ones for effect :D
All LED's are compatible, just different sizes, ie. 5mm, 3mm etc. I put blue LED's to match my Autometer guages in pretty much everything including the cluster and also did some white LED's to make the yellow go away!

I think wiring LEDs involves using resistors as well, so space could be a bit cramped.
True and not true.....;) All LED's need to have a set limited voltage depending on source V and diode forward ~V and current etc....there is a different option though

In general you do have to use resistors, you are correct but they do have to micro-resistored LED's that are already built in the resitor chip for space issues. I have ordered 50 so I will let you know how they go but they definately look like they will fit alot better than what i have!

·
Registered
923 Posts
I have the bulbs now but it feels like I'm going to break the switch prying it out of the wheel, any tips?

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
You can get the bulbs at Radio shack but it's a pain in the ass next time I will just replace the switches that go out!
Has anyone documented the steps to remove and replace the lights in the steering wheel controls? Can these be replcaed with an LED so they don't burn out in 2 years?

Thanks,

Bill

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Also they dont give you much wire to get switches out.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Remove airbag, SOOOO much easier....and banshee, i'll vouch for that when you try to do it with it in...:D

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Keeping your hand from shacking is the hardest part.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
removing airbag?

How easy is it to remove the airbag? I have never messed with one and normally I am not afraid to explore, poke and pry, but I know these things have a lot of force and if I poke the wrong spot, poof?:eek: It's probably simple, but it doesn't hurt to ask, right?

Thanks,

Bill

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
You use a rod about the diameter of a clothes hanger you should disconnect the battery's and wait ten minutes but I dont there is 2 holes on each side of steering wheel.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
part #'s for replacements?

Does anyone know the part #'s for the steering wheel controls? I have one with the paint wearing off(volume). Of course that is the only one that the lights are not burned out :rolleyes: The other three all need new lights and I am going to take them out and try the fix listed here.

Bill

·
Registered
16,214 Posts
I am tired of replacing them so I just been living without the dang stupid lights bulbs that are made in china anyway, one day I will do the led mod

·
Registered
544 Posts
I am tired of replacing them so I just been living without the dang stupid lights bulbs that are made in china anyway, one day I will do the led mod
X2, I just use the brail method..... FEEL.:D

1 - 20 of 44 Posts