Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally added steering wheel controls on my truck. I want to thank all the people that researched it before me to make it possible for me to do it!! One of the best and unexpected parts was after the dealer programed it, the radio is now 1/3 louder and has twice as much bass. Why....I dont know but I'm not going to question it.:ro)

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Good deal.

·
Registered
26 Posts
What did you end up having to do to get the steering wheel controls? It sounds like there are a lot of features to be had with these controls. Do you think it would be a possible install on my '06?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All I did was buy a steering wheel off E Bay for $36.00. Bought a new clockspring for about $200.00 shipped from partszoneonline.com. It took me about an hour to put that in, but another half hour to hook the auto start back up. Then took it to my dealer and had them program it. Basically it turns the buttons on so the computer can read them. That usually cost 1 hour shop time. Unfortunally is $92.00 an hour up here. But I'm glad I did it. Look in you're owners manuall to see everything it does, you can change when the doors lock, when they unlock, when the lights go off. It will tip the mirrors down in reverse, not to mention the fuel mileage stuff. ):h

·
Registered
26 Posts
It's amazing they have so many "hidden" features. I would have imagined there would be someway to do all those things with other buttons. Do you know if anyone has tried to connect other switches to those wires and have all those features without the steering wheel changeover? Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
164 Posts
waht was the part number for the spring. How did you remove the old steering wheel, Air bag.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont know anybody that has connected other switches succesfully but there might be. I wanted a factory look anyway. The part number for a HD is 26101828 It is a single stage air bag. Partszoneonline.com wants $201.56 and gmpartsdirect wants $175.27 but by the time gmdirect adds on shipping its usually cheaper from partszoneonline.com. At least thats been my experience. It is called a coil kit. There is about 14 connectors on it, it looks like a mess but it's pretty easy once you get in there. But if you have a remote start you will have to solder the wires to the new harness. To take the air bag off you need to disconnect the batteries for at LEAST 15 minutes so the power drains down so it wont activate. Then take the smallest drill bit you have and stick it in the holes on the bottom side of the steering wheel. You will feel each side release as you do it. Then just unplug the air bag. Then take the center nut off. I didnt need a steering wheel puller, I just hit the back of the wheel a couple of times and it popped off.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I didn't think about taking a picture before I started but here is a picture of the harness that I had taken out. The splices in the harness is where the remote start was soldered in. It basically looks the same except a couple of more wires.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
That's a great pic. Thanks for offering it. I am curious if could be done with just adding switches, but I agree with you that the "factory look" of the steering wheel is nice. Oh well, another thing to add to the "to list"

·
Registered
164 Posts
thanks Fredrick, sounds not to hard. when you purchased the coil spring it came with all the wires too. well I bought a steering wheel last summer and have been afraid to attempt to do this, but with the directions (simple too I may add) I will order the clock spring. I'll let you know when I complete the Job and hope not to for get to take Pictures to post.

thanks again

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The clockspring and wires all come in one nice neat wire harness. The end connections are all pretty much all different, and only so long so you can only put them one place. I started at the clockspring and unplugged the first connection plug in the new and went on down till I was done. The biggest difference between the two harnesses is the clockspring on the original harness just has a plug for the air bag. The new harness has the plug for the air bag and I think one plug for the rest of the controls on the steering wheel. But in that bundle are about 8 to 10 small wires in one plug. The hardest part of the whole job was getting some of the connectors apart as there not all the same. But you'll get it!!
:grd:

·
Registered
164 Posts
who did the programing?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The local dealership.

·
Registered
40 Posts
There is a feature that tips the mirrors when in reverse? Where is it located in the display. I have all of the features like business trip, mpg, ampg, timer, miles til empty tank. But I havent seen anything about mirrors tipping for backing up. My wife keeps yelling at me for running over the bushes while I back up.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Can we get it is it just a simple programming download? Or would I have to mess with a bunch of junk? Also I heard with an update we can get it to say the fuel filter life like the oil life too if I am correct.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Fredrick
Thanks so much for your post. This is something I have wanted from day one and now thanks to you I will hopefully get it done.
Dan

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Glad I could give a little back to this forum. I've learned alot from everybody else. Good luck with you're project, I doubt you'll have any problems.

·
Registered
164 Posts
i disconnected my batteries over night is there any else that i need to disconnet before i start??

1 - 20 of 28 Posts