Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally got around to installing my Skyjacker steering stabilizer today. I just recently replaced my Pitman arm, Idler arm, Idler arm bracket and one inner tie rod. This alone really tightened up the steering. The instructions suck and even going to their website, the instructions aren’t much better. So I decided to take some photos and show how I did it. Now this is for the people that don’t have the OEM shock.

Step 1
Jack up vehicle and make sure wheels are straight.

Step 2
Remove differential skid plate.

Step 3
Skyjacker says there should be a 9/16th’s hole but if there isn’t you will have to drill the hole. I had to drill the hole. Using existing skid plate bolt and the hole install the bracket and mark center of hole. Step drill hole out to a 9/16”.

Step 4
Install the larger 9/16 bolt that comes with the kit in the hole you just drilled. After it is tightened down you can remove the skid plate bolt that you used to hold bracket in place.

Step 5
Install shock into the bracket you just installed but do not tighten hardware yet.

Step 6
Install the second bracket over the relay rod and install hardware. Do not tighten yet.

Step 7
Install the other end of the shock to the bracket you just mounted.

Step 8
Tighten on the bracket that goes to the relay rod and then tighten up the 2 nuts that mount the shock.

Step 9
Have someone turn steering wheel all the way to the left and right and adjust the bracket on the relay rod as necessary to prevent any binding.

Step 10
Verify that all hardware is tight and clean shock so that you can install the sticker.

Step 11
Reinstall skid plate. You will have to shim the skid plate one side as it now hits on the bottom of the bracket that you installed in steps 3 and step 4.

Step 12
Lower vehicle and enjoy. Check hardware a month later to verify hardware is still tight.

Note: I didn’t install the red boot that comes with the kit because the shock is so close to bottoming out when you turn left that the boot would not be able to compress that far. This is exactly how the Rough Country steering stabilizer shock is mounted as well.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Admins, this can be moved to the suspension/steering section. I accidently put this in the wrong forum.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Admins, this can be moved to the suspension/steering section. I accidently put this in the wrong forum.
Better yet, leave it here where the 6.5 guys will actually see it!! I'm guessing the advantage to this unit over the stock one is durability? It looks like a very heavy duty unit.

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,825 Posts
Can it be used to replace the existing steering stabilizer?

·
Registered
443 Posts
hey come to gold beach and do mine for me.........................................................i agree leave it so that everybody see;s it when they get in the 6.5 threads.... makes it better because i and im sure alot of other people never look in the other parts of this site........but its up to the big man..... not us......

·
Registered
518 Posts
Steering Stabilizers are a must IMO on any truck! Great write-up pics do not work.
If your truck came with a steering stabilizer, there is no need to swap it out. Just replace the OEM shock with one of your preference.

I installed one on my lowered truck (gas), in the pursuit for better handling. I ended up welding my bracket due harsh NY roads and road racing.

One of things I pondered, was installing a dual steering stabilizer. They say it is only for lifted trucks, so I assume there will be clearance issues.

Brings me to this, I also removed the EVO sensor. Does the Diesel have an EVO sensor?

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,077 Posts
So what happened to the all important photos for this article!
Photobucket changed the address's of the photo's OR the OP deleted them.
This is why "important" photo's should be uploaded into the thread instead of linked somewhere else, as you can't control life of the links.

An example is that most FaceBook photo's linked a short while ago are all errors now, as FB changed the address's to the albums.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
5 Posts
I thought as much, but I was hoping that someone would post a link to them or actually had access to them!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Attn: moderator,

As to not continuing to mislead folks that they are about to open a DIY thread on installing a steering stabilizer, this thread would best be removed from the official DIY list right?

...with the lack of all the worthwhile content and all

Just a suggestion... The fraction of a second between seeing this in DIY and clicking it, and then seeing that every pic is lost/post is useless was pretty traumatic experience for me. I'll recover, I just want to stop future hard ache of others seeking the same knowledge.

·
Administrator
16,275 Posts

As to not continuing to mislead folks that they are about to open a DIY thread on installing a steering stabilizer, this thread would best be removed from the official DIY list right?

Just a suggestion... The fraction of a second between seeing this in DIY and clicking it, and then seeing that every pic is lost/post is useless was pretty traumatic experience for me. I'll recover, I just want to stop future hard ache of others seeking the same knowledge.
click on the red triangle under your name in the post and a mod will see this :HiHi:

Reactions: EppNation

·
Bidness is Boomin'!
7,664 Posts

Attn: Man with "hard ache",

FAQ Master List edited for Steering Stabilizer.
Was "Installation steps and pictures"
Now "Installation steps"

Carry on.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Replacing my stock stabilizer, or trying too. Can't get the tapered stud to come out ... tried everything, impact hammer, heat, more hammer time, I'm about ready to replace the whole center link, but it has new outer tie rods, and they'll be ruined if I have to take them off.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well figured it out ... just needed a bigger hammer. Actually borrowed a fork that was narrower so it could get under the hex. Still had to almost bury the for before it let loose.

And yes, it does make a steering difference, even with a stock dampener. No more wandering ... nice.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
^ What brand did you use?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Monroe Gas-Magnum
Part #: SC2942

Easy install, once the taper stud is out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts