Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Chevy D/A crew cab 4x4. I'm about to turn 36,000 miles. What is this steering shaft rattle people are talking about? What does it sound like? When does it occur and how loud is it?

If I have it, I want it fixed before my 36K warranty runs out.

BTW, my build date was Jan 2002. Do I have 2001 injectors or the improved ones? If no one here knows, how can I find out for sure?

Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Go to the TSB section of the forum. That will solve your problem.

Your injector issue is not good. I have a 03' that had build date of 12/02 as well. I have replaced 10 so far. If I'm correct, the injector issue wasn't solved intil 9/03!

·
Registered
693 Posts
I have a build date of 12/02 as well. I think the injectors were fixed prior to that and I am not worried . Patrick posted on this earlier.

I believe that the main factor in failures is lack of lubricity in the fuel - add a lubricity additive like Stanadyne Lubricity formula, rotella DFA, or run a little biodiesel (b2 or b5 is enough) and be happy for many, many miles...

- jeff

·
Registered
693 Posts
Look here...

http://www.biodiesel.org/buyingbiodiesel/retailfuelingsites/default.shtm

I got a full tank of b20 soy biodiesel yesterday in portland, OR -> I ended up running from one end of the valley to the other and didn't have any additive with me when I needed to fill up. It cost $2.20 a gallon - my local shell station has diesel at $2.10 today. At that price difference, I'll be buying more; Good for the motor, good for the environment; More money for farmers with less money going to oil companies and to despotic, radical islamic regimes.

- jeffEdited by: dmax lover

·
Registered
12,004 Posts

Im working on making my own!

As for the rattle, I think I have it too...Do you need to be able to duplicate it for the dealer in order to get it fixed?

·
Registered
994 Posts
re: the rattle. They won't "fix" it,,,,,,, they will just temporarily make the rattle disappear. A stall tactic until the 3yr/36kmile warranty is up.

This problem has been around since 1999. If they were intent on fixing it, it would have been done long ago.Edited by: OC_DMAX

·
Registered
27 Posts
There are apparently two issues that could cause the rattle: the shaft for which the lube kit or a replacement is in order or a bearing further down the mechanism. Sorry, don't have the paperwork here to tell you exactly what was replaced on mine. No more clunking at low speed. I'd forgotten how quite it should be.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I believe I've got that rattle too, only 20100mi Seems to only rattle while making L-hand turns over R/R tracks or rough roads

·
Registered
71 Posts
Check out this thread.

Steering shaft thread

Has anyone heard whether GM has issued a redesigned intermediate steering shaft yet or not?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts