Diesel Place banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I stop off at the dealer to buy the steering shaft lube for my truck and the neighbors truck because the rattle is driving me nutz. I ask the guy at the desk and one of his co-workers says "that item has been dicontined as of about a week ago, since none of the grease leaves the unit, they just exercise the rod". He said that they disconect it under the hood and pull it out and back in about 5 times and thats it......?

I think I'm going to look for the kit online, or does this make sense?
:confuzeld

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Yes, (Well no, but anyway) there is a new TSB out that says just what he told you.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
HA HA- exercise the rod! LOL! :D I would try another dealer.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I was told the same thing friday by the dealer I bought my truck from. I wanted it lubed under warranty. They said that GM was working on another fix that would be out around March 1st (wouldn't say what it was). Also said that the exercising of the rod didn't last more than a couple of days. I ask if I lubed the splines myself would that effect the warranty repair and was told to live with it till the new fix was out.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
TIM Z;1540141; said:
This link may not last long, so make a copy.

TSB Number: 00-02-35-003L
Title: Steering - Clunking Noise Under Hood

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
So this issue is still happening? i had this issue on my 04 and would have thought GM would have definitley taken care of this already, i hope my 07 doesnt do it!:mad:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
TIM Z;1540141; said:
Dealer: "Stealer Chevrolet"

Caller: "Service Department, please."

Dealer: "Service, this is Mr Goodwrench."

Caller: "Hi, I have a 2005 Silverado. I'd like to get my shaft lubed and stroked."

Dealer: ":eek: " "Excuse me?"

·
Registered
612 Posts
The sad part is they did not redesign it for the 900 trucks. :eek:

·
Registered
328 Posts
had the same problem with my 2005/2500 hd / I surely thought they would have fixed problem / just turned 7000 miles on my new 2007 3500 crew and there comes that funny feeling again / trucks going into a south florida dealer tommorrow that greased and dealt with the issue on my 05 / will post what there fix is

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sir-Col;1540072; said:
Hello, If you need a good substitute grease, try the turquoise marine wheel bearing grease....it works well.

Sir-Col
I think this is the way to go. So did you just use the grease gun and gave it a couple pumps? or should I look for a different way to apply the grese? I'm going to look at it tomorrow, i'll keep posted.

·
Registered
328 Posts
took 2007 / 3500 crew in today / service writer tells me they were told new redesigned shaft replacement was supposed to be ready by january 1 but now is backed off until middle of february / they have stopped the temp fix (regrease shaft that they did on my 2005 / guess will have to wait till mid february to see if they have it figured out

·
Registered
825 Posts
This should be interesting to see. They should replace every one of them for free, but you know they would never do that.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:rant: I tried exerciseing the steering shaft, but it doesnt work. Do any of the vendors sell this kit or something like it? I need to look for the green marine grease...

·
Registered
266 Posts
GM has a new TSB out to replace the shaft, might try that, I know my dealer is fixing those that have been in with the problem before even if out of warranty.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The dude in the parts dept said the new shaft was not under any recalls or special warrenty, so I'm screwed for about $125.... :rippedhan

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you need a brand new unopened GM intermediate shaft lube kit, PM me. I don't need it since I just had the new shaft installed.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Does anyone know if theres another place that sells a INTERMEDIATE STEERING SHAFT for our trucks? I just think it's :cussing: to hafta pay for one...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.