Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if this clunk we are getting in our steering is causing accelerated wear someplace or can I just ignore it. My 01 has 40,000 on it & this noise has just started.

Thanks

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Doesn't any of the techs have the answer to this.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I don't know if it is causing accelerated wear. It's caused by insuffecient lube in the splines of the steering shaft. The amount of movement in the shaft is very small, it is just amplified through the column.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks GMCSID

·
Registered
47 Posts
HI chipper, Try doing a search here for stearing rattle. I think the 01's had a TSB for a stearing box bearing that could also cause it. But some had the box replaced, then could'nt adjust the play out of them(inferior box?). Mines an 03 and I had the greese job three times so far without fixing it. There's rumor of a new part comming out soon (the next month or so). Hope you get your's resolved.
(On edit, Sorry guys, I forgot I was in the tech section.)Edited by: GPtimes2

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
My 03 developed a slight abillaty to lift up on the steering wheel at around 10k. It also developed a slight vibration in the steering wheel when turning slowly over rough surfaces at about 10k. I thought I might of been dreaming but these problems became amplified over time. At 20,660 the sensations were unbearable. You could here a clunking coming from the engine compartment. I took my truck to the dealer and they performed T.S.B. 00-02-35-003C. They also did there 21 point lube/ inspection and performed a 4 wheel alignment. The truck felt and drove great. I did feel some very slight symptoms of the previous problem but I chalked it up to mucle memory. It is now 3 weeks later and 1418 miles down the road and I am noticing the same symptoms again. I am sure they will become amplified with time. What is you suggestion on my next course of action?

·
Registered
17 Posts
They probably didn't follow the procedure exactly. The shaft needs to be compressed several times to distribute the lube properly. Also the plug needs to be unseated every time the shaft is extended in preparation for compression to allow air to be drawn in again and recompressed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts