Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<H1>Noise from Steering at Low Speeds #PI00299 - (07/30/2002)</H1>Noise from Steering at Low Speeds

When servicing the vehicle with the VIN you entered, the following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the described symptoms. <A name=ss1-903879><A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=903879#ss1-903879" target="_blank">
<H5>Condition/Concern:</A></H5>

Rattle, noise emanating from the steering column, particularly during low speed parking lot maneuvers. <A name=ss2-903879><A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=903879#ss2-903879" target="_blank">
<H5>Recommendation/Instructions:</A></H5>

1. <LI =1>Verify noise is from stub shaft bearing area.
    <LI =1>Replace stub shaft bearing with kit part number 26099860. </LI>

Also, a special tool is required to complete the repair. You must use Essential Tool J-45798 to avoid damage to the bearing seal. The repair procedures are available in SI (Service Information) to install the new bearing

·
Registered
183 Posts
Not sure if vin of a 3500 will trigger this tsb because the steering boxes are different. But trust me they have the same problem! Got dealer to replace box on fifth visit and that finally fixed the problem.

·
Registered
152 Posts
This may be a stupid question but is there a place where you can enter your VIN and see what TSB's should be done on it?

Thanks

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
I have heard a rattle as described in the thread below, but I also have heard a pretty loud squeak now and then...

Would that be related to this? The squeak happaned when turning the wheel when not moving...

I should get this taken care of...

·
Registered
51 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
i dont have any "squeaking" but just sounds like something rubbing...plastic on plastic i believe...its not very loud, didnt even catch it the first time.....does this fall in w/this tsb, or have i got something else??? running vins determine anything, or is it just a case by case....

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
The dealer took care of mine. No more rattle. Went for a ride with the Tech (I think he just wanted to drive a 6 speed truck...but) and he was a wealth of info.

He was telling me that there is a power module that can add 150 horse! I just sat there and acted suprised. He didnt even notice the gauges.............

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
dealer did tsb on my truck....was cool for just under a day, then started doing it again....guess i will remind them again, next time...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have noticed the same problem. I tightened the adjustment on the gear box and that seemed to help. Only moved the adjustment a half turn. The noise and feedback is very faint. I am thinking about a little more adjustment.

I had a buddy with a 1/2 ton who said he had the same Issue. The dealer greased the Intermediate Shaft.

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
The noise is back within less than 500 miles.

I also heard some creaking when doing some slow speed parking lot turns...

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have the same noise and my ride is out of warrantee, can someone give me an idea of what this costs to fix?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Went into my dealership with this complaint and the printed TSB. They are now replacing my entire steering shaft. According to the Service attendant, they have several shafts on order because of the same failure among the vehicles they have sold.

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
Can you take this thing apart and fix it with regular grease in the mean time? I think that if you pack this thing with grease of any kind it should work right?

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Steering shaft

I have an appointment to bring the truck in tomorrow. I asked the service advisor what they are doing. Do you grease it up and re-install or do you replace it? I stated the TSB and he said we are replacing them. I'll find out tomorrow and post results. Also, replacing tailgate cables at same time. They said they have plenty in sock.:)

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
steering shaft

Dealer fixed the truck almost.:mad: The steering shaft replacement part could be a couple of months back ordered. They said there is a shortage for this item.
Good news is, they a have plenty of fuel injectors in stock.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I had the wife's 2003 Yukon XL done yesterday. The repair sheet that came with it said parts used "lube kit" guess they didn't put in a new shaft:confused: Guess we will see. But the best part is . The Tech put the steering wheel back on upside down.):h

Cosgr:D ve

1 - 20 of 24 Posts