Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eric: when I turn fast to the left especially after stopping, and while accelerating, I get a noise that I can hear and feel in the steering wheel. It's almost like a hydraulic noise, not very loud, very hard to describe. It is not the steering rattle and I do not believe it is the stub shaft bearing noise as the truck is a 1 ton and has the 700 series box not the 670 or the 680. Brought truck to dealer with 35,000 miles on it and was able to duplicate noise with tech riding with me. He said he had heard that noise before in a 1 ton van but were never able to fix it. He didn't say how or even if they tried to fix it. He checked fluid level, which was low (go figure since the hydroboost weeps like they all do), added some fluid and said go try it. Well the noise is still there and I would like to go back to the dealer with the answer (AGAIN) because I know they won't have one.

Thanks for your time;

Mike

·
Registered
59 Posts
Dr Crane:

I have a 2003 Chev 2500HD that makes the same noise. I have had my dealer look at it twice but they "can't duplicate it" I bought the truck new in late May and now have 29,600 miles on it. I would love to have others speak up if they are having the same problem.

·
Registered
347 Posts
My mom would complain about her old 1965 Pontiac Bonneville making noise in a turn too....

My dad followed her one day and found out the problem was her right foot.

My mom and a Tri-Power 421... the tires didn't stand a chance...

Actually, it sounds like a binding/interference problem. Are all components lubed? My wife's van has a problem with the sway bar being mis-built. It will actually bump the frame in a right turn.

Later...

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have the noise in mine, but only when I turn left from a stop. It sounds like a scraping noise or something like, that coming from the steering column. It won't do it every time, but 85% of the time. Can't find anyone that can tell me what it is.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Have this noise in my 01 also. Just when going slow and making a sharp left turn such as turning into a parking spot.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
I believe the noise to be from the gear box, Mine makes that noise too and i havent yet had time to replace the bearing in the gear box which I am told will fix it. I think I put the info in the tsb section on this repair/diagnosis.

Eric

·
Registered
2 Posts
Look in the TSB"s on this forum for --steering noise clunk----there you will find the GM service bulletin on this problem.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't believe that TSB relates to the 700 steering box found in the one tons. The exploded views in the service manual show two entirely different boxes. I don't think mine even has a stub shaft bearing. I'll give the dealer another try, but I don't think they will take my advice and replace the whole steering box. But then again what do I know!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts