Diesel Place banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

· Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Let me know how it works out for you, Alex. And I will do the same with the Cunningham shaft. Got the holidays coming up and a houseful. I'll likely do the job in Jan. Good luck.

· Registered
235 Posts
if you like the Borgeson or Cunnungham machine solution...
may be you can opt for a less expensive solution with the same result

just detach the parts, throw away the old RAG joints and add the new u-joint

# for 94 and erlier model need 2 u-joint - 3/4"-30 Spline X 1" DD Steering u-joint and 3/4" DD x 1"DD u-joint

# for 95 + model only one U-joint 3/4"-30 Spline X 1" DD Steering u-joint

you can find this U-joint everywere for less than $30

would you like add Borgeson U-joint? solid or vibration u-joint? at your choise and deep pocket

Attachments

· Registered
235 Posts
drive the rag joint off

Attachments

· Registered
235 Posts
put the new U-joint on the steering shaft

Attachments

· Registered
235 Posts
Grease and reassemble the steering shaft, reinstall dust boots, and you got factory look

Attachments

· Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Well, I'm impressed with your skill and work, sir. I'll just get the Cunningham Machine shaft I think. I don't mind the non-stock look.

· Registered
235 Posts
it is not my work...
it is a summary of what is online and which I consider well done, what a DIYer could do with little work, a simple alternative .... for those who prefer to install an universal U-joint.

as mentioned, i will replace the old RAG joint with a new one...quite a complete replacement, not just the rubber composite disc
Lares 205 - Steering Coupling Assembly

Attachments

· Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I just had my rag joint replaced with that exact one. But it's the U joint that still has too much play. Just going to replace the whole shaft and be done with it. Thanks.

· Premium Member
892 Posts
I just installed Cunningham Machine's on my 94 C3500. Had to drive the upper u joint onto the steering shaft, Other than that its been great. I had used a 3500HD steering shaft from Dorman but it was worn out already at 90k

Reactions: 56pan

· Registered
235 Posts
I'll just get the Cunningham Machine shaft I think. I don't mind the non-stock look.

if you will go with Borgeson or Cunnigham Machine ....you must check where is the flat spot on steering box...usually 12 hours when tires straight

in that position the screw could coincide with the same flat portion position .... and in that portion there is no groove to fix the screw

for fix you must have a screw at 9 or 3 hours position, a 90 degree from flat spot

check it out before

Reactions: 56pan

· Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Good point, sir. If the setscrew is on the flat, I'll have to drill/tap for a different location. Big pothole could make it slide off the splines if the screw ever loosened any and was on the flat. Instant bad news. Thanks.

· Registered
235 Posts
Borgeson or Cunnighan Machine steering shaft, for what i can see from pics in their website or found on the web, ....have only a screw for fix steering shaft on power steering gear box.

both will have the locking screw at 12 o'clock, if installed as a normal replacement.

the u-joint steering shaft could be installed at 180°, in this way the locking screw would be at 6 o'clock, I don't know if there is enough space to fix it underneath, in this case it would be enough to install the U-joint in this position and rotate the steering axle to a position that allows it to be easily fixed.
sure that with one or rather two additional screws they would give a greater sense of security.

the high-strength threadlocker used on these screws would not allow them to be disassembled in case of need for maintenance. it would be very difficult to take them apart.
for this reason they advise if you want to use a threadlocker, to use a light threadlocker (locktite 222 or similar, info from Borgeson website, just open any installation PDF).

in fact it would be really difficult to remove these screws with the hallen head if you used the strong threadlocker, .... if they had a hexagonal head perhaps...

this type of procedure definitely further lowers my faith in this type of mating.

· Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I'll post how it went once I get the Cunningham shaft. Too many holiday expenses to get it until Jan.

Reactions: OkDually

· Registered
235 Posts
I'll post how it went once I get the Cunningham shaft. Too many holiday expenses to get it until Jan.
take a look of this....for RAG joint eliminator, it will be the righ part for you
GM GENUINE steering shaft part # 26015779
new and available now from Rockauto

· Registered
235 Posts
Might fit my 95 as well
removing the upper part, keeping only the lower u-joint and inserting the original upper steering shaft
but I would need to know how long the bottom is and how far the top steering shaft could slide into it

· Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
It's cheaper than the Cunningham or Borgerson. And says it's a GM part, which I like. Will make my decision in Jan. Thanks.

· Registered
235 Posts
..you told me in Jan
so when i found the part, posted here for you..

istalled Lares Rag joint today, torqued the 2 bolt that hold the rubber disc to 11lbs/ft... deformed the rubber part, but is that torque value they gave for installation
told me you installed the same part...
...also you found this torque value for installation?....had you notice the same rubber disc distorsion?

· Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Alex, I had the guy replace the rag joint when he installed the 2nd pwr. steering gearbox for me. The 1st reman. gearbox was leaking bad at the input shaft seal. Both remans, so there you are. Took a good look at it with the new rag joint and did not notice any deformation on the rubber part of the rag joint. He's a good mech. but I don't know what torque he used.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts