Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if any of you guys had used the part in the link? My '93 C2500 has too much play in the steering. I recently replaced the rag joint and that helped but the U-joint above the rag joint on the lower steering column is worn and still causing loose steering. Price for this thing in the link seems a little high to me and I've had some very low quality parts from LMC truck before. Any of you tried to rebuild the steering column U-joint? Is it possible?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have not used what you have listed. The price is very similar to the dorman replacement one almost makes me wonder if that is what it is. I have some slop in my 95's shaft and have thought about trying one from cunningham machine. There shafts come with u joints on both ends and gets rid of the rag joint. There price is a about 100 bucks less then lmc depending on how you have it coated.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's Why You Never Mess With Your Steering Shaft!! - YouTube

The item on Cunningham Machine's website looks like what I need. But it also looks just like the Borgeson unit in that video link that would not work. I just sent an email to Cunningham Machine with that video and hope they can clarify whether it's direct bolt in or not. Thanks smdk. Hell will freeze solid before I ever use anything from Dorman again.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The guy from Cunningham Machine just answered me and said his item is a direct bolt in of the right length. He wrote that if the input shaft on the pwr. steering gearbox has the stub as in the video, it would have to be cut off. No big deal. Can you provide a link to your steering shaft, sir?

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok. Understood.

·
Premium Member
93 C3500, 10k GVW, Crew, LB, Dually ,141 Block. Replaced much in 2020
85 Posts
I replaced mine with a Borgeson 000936 and it was plug and play. It's a brute and is going to last longer than me.

Jim P

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
presleyhome, you didn't have the problem with the stub shaft on the input shaft on the pwr. steering gearbox then like the fellow in the video? What's that stub shaft on there for anyhow is what I'd like to know. Don't know if my pwr. steering gearbox has one or not. Just had it replaced, but didn't check that.

Reactions: dieselolds

·
Premium Member
93 C3500, 10k GVW, Crew, LB, Dually ,141 Block. Replaced much in 2020
85 Posts
The part number I got was not the one in that video. This is the one I got and it has a "rag" joint on it but its the stiffest rag joing Ive ever seen. Installed in like 5 minutes once the old one was out.
Auto part Metal Tool Event Steel
Auto part Metal Tool Event Steel

Reactions: dieselolds

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok. Thanks, sir.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I replaced mine with a Borgeson Part #: 000301. Pretty much 'plug and play' other than having to remove the pin as shown in that video above, and as I recall I had to just mark and drill a 'divot' in the input shaft of the steering box to accommodate the set screw on the Borgeson piece. Whole thing took about an hour and it made a significant difference in steering quality.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info. Believe I'll get the steering shaft from Cunningham Machine.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
235 Posts
in my opinion it is unsafe use those univesal steering shaft
RAG joint steering shaft or U-joint steering shaft, it is not the point.
if those steering shaft have not the same factory system to lock steering shaft to the steering gearbox spline shaft.
I wouldn't trust using this locking system, which doesn't use a screw through the groove gear of steering gearbox.
should i just trust the loctite that stops the screw in place?

Reactions: 56pan

·
Registered
235 Posts
taking a look around i find this Dorman part 425-177
someone used this part to replace rag-joint steering shaft
in a 91 k1500 and it fit perfect (k1500 is not in Dorman's list of compatible vehicle for this part, but it fit)
i don't know if it will fit later models 95-99 also
if yes it will be my choise

for late models 95-99 you should delete / discart the upper part and insert the factory upper shaft
if this Dorman part has the same GM tube section
from picture it seem the same section
it should be an easy plug and play

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
uhmm may be not for late models, it would good with a 90 degree tilt of tube section. may be the upper part should be modified for fit late models

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
in my opinion it is unsafe use those univesal steering shaft
RAG joint steering shaft or U-joint steering shaft, it is not the point.
if those steering shaft have not the same factory system to lock steering shaft to the steering gearbox spline shaft.
I wouldn't trust using this locking system, which doesn't use a screw through the groove gear of steering gearbox.
should i just trust the loctite that stops the screw in place?
It's a good point, Alex. However, the shaft on the steering gearbox is splined. There would not be any side to side play against the set screw to loosen it and I would trust the permanent loctite (red, I believe) in this location. Needs to be heated to break loose if you ever need to. I sent an email earlier today to Cunningham Machine and received the attached photo. I couldn't see the details of the part of the shaft that attached to the steering gearbox on his website. No, I don't work for them. If I order the shaft, I'll post the results here.

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
there is something else you don't take in consideration
make a zoon in picture below (take from another site, they made an u-joint conversion from a XJ cherokee steering shaft ....)
you can well note the GM gear coupling disegn that is not all circle, but has a square flat spot for good torsional resistance, and a safe screw make this coupling aderent, and anti slip, and screw pass trough the spline, this make a safe and anti-slip coupling with steering gear box.

not a simple screw torqued into the spline, you need at minimum another screw torqued in the square spot, but same it will not result with the same factory safe and streng connection for coupling.

it makes no sense, an upgrade to an oversized u-joint, when you don't make an equally safe and streng connection for coupling

Attachments

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I understand your point, except that the setscrew is bottoming against the_groove_in the splined input shaft on the pwr. steering gearbox. Not the splined section. The splines will prevent any circular movement against the setscrew to loosen it. The setscrew bottomed and locktited into the groove will prevent any longitudinal movement. I'd feel safe with the shaft the way it's designed.

·
Registered
235 Posts
maybe for the forces at play it could be enough... but I still don't like the solution
I found the cherokee XJ steering shaft more suitable...that need modification also to fit my 95
As yet I haven't found something that I feel is right for stronger, more precise steering. until i find the solution i will change the RAG joint with a new one

1 - 20 of 38 Posts