The clunk is still very much alive after new fix! Man what now!:(

·
Registered
42,913 Posts
:eek:

·
Registered
781 Posts
100% positive that the clunk is coming from the steering shaft? I've heard others say they had a clunking sound and found that it was a bad torsion bar crossmember bushing.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
truck has 10k on it and the clunk feels like it originates around my right knee inside the steering column??

·
Registered
781 Posts
Ok, it was just a thought. That sucks if indeed the new redesigned shaft doesn't fix the problem once again! :mad:

·
Registered
633 Posts
Was the new fix the newly designed shaft or was it the outdated "grease and stroke"???

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is the new revised steering column installed last week!

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
YZ250B;1595373; said:
It is the new revised steering column installed last week!
OH NO! Im having a new one put in next week!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
My clunk also seems to be fixed with the old shaft and a new lower bearing.

·
Registered
781 Posts
TIM Z;1595533; said:
OH NO! Im having a new one put in next week!
Yours has a bad steering shaft already! :eek:

God I hope mine doesn't develope it that quick.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have had the clunk since day 1, very minor, i just ignored it, didnt happen all the time, only feel it at low speeds when turning in parking lots and such.

I have 50,000 miles and I called the dealer today, They are going to warrant me the steering shaft, scheduled install next week

I would have never known about this with-out being a memeber of this forum!

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
YZ250B;1595004; said:
The clunk is still very much alive after new fix! Man what now!:(
It ain't always the steering shaft. Mine was something else after they replaced I.S. twice and the steering gearbox . It turned out to be the lower steering shaft bearing.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Zick;1595575; said:
Yours has a bad steering shaft already! :eek:

God I hope mine doesn't develope it that quick.
No clunk yet Zick, i just want to get the newest fix before GM gets cheap again and goes back to greasing, Just preventive maintanence if you will...:)

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Lower steering shaft Bearing??

Can someone tell me where exactly it is and how to check it? I've got a long post on this situation already. NEW designed ISS has fixed lots of the looseness but now the clunk is definitely more accentuated. Dealer wants to do a second(3 total includ. orig.) steering box and maybe a pitman arm. All this in the last 4 months and it all started at 500 miles. I do think the ISS helped out but maybe lots of this is a combination of lower steering bearings and crappy ISS's....

·
Registered
328 Posts
Second truck with same problem / 2005 grease fixed till trade/ New truck goes in tomorrow for shaft replacement / Great info from you guys on possible alternative sources of problems if shaft isn't problem /

Thanks

·
Registered
248 Posts
I had the shuttery feeling in the steering from day one, but opted to ignore it if all they would do was grease it. Took the truck in on Wednesday for the new shaft after reading about the revised TSB on a post.

Two days later and it's like Night and Day:driver: , I can't even begin to describe the difference that IM shaft made.

Also on a side note: I learned when I took it in that GM has a 16,000km grace period for alignments. The truck was pulling a bit to the right so they realigned it under warranty. I unknowingly brought the truck in with 15,987km's on it,:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts