Diesel Place banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I can't imagine the new steering gear itself could be causing my problems. I sure hope not as that was a pain to R & R. The boost seemed to be "o.k." before I changed out the valve. It just wasn't great. Now it's worse. Your mileage may vary.

·
Administrator
16,326 Posts
I can't imagine the new steering gear itself could be causing my problems. I sure hope not as that was a pain to R & R. The boost seemed to be "o.k." before I changed out the valve. It just wasn't great. Now it's worse. Your mileage may vary.
Maybe a P/S line has become weakened and is kinked or collapsed internally causing a restriction:confused::unsure:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Maybe a P/S line has become weakened and is kinked or collapsed internally causing a restriction:confused::unsure:
There are only two pressurized lines I think, and they both "look" fine. One from pump to hydroboost, and one from hydroboost to steering gear. Then a low / no pressure return line back to pump reservoir from reservoir and steering gear.
I'm just getting tired of buying stuff and changing stuff out...

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you clear the front tires off the ground and turn steering wheel with engine off, how much effort does it take?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
If you clear the front tires off the ground and turn steering wheel with engine off, how much effort does it take?
Medium effort. No one pinky turning of the steering wheel.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm wondering if the gear lash adjustment screw is over tightened.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
It's possible pj951. It's a remanufactured steering gear. It does seem to get even MORE difficult to turn either direction after I'm about 2/3's either way. I hate to mess with that, but I'm also willing to do about anything at this point. Three hydroboosts and three ps pumps thus far. . .

·
Registered
109 Posts
Maybe back off the adjustment screw 1-2 turns with wheels pointing straight ahead and see if anything changes. Then snug the set screw with wheels centered. Finally tighten lock nut while holding adjustment set screw to prevent it from turning. Done.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
It certainly can't hurt to back it off just a tad and see if it helps. I can always return it to the exact same position. I think 1-2 turns might be a bit much. As easy as it is to do I'll probably do 1/2 turn increments and see what happens.

·
Registered
109 Posts
1-2 turns to loosen temporarily for the test. Incremental works too.

Reactions: biggar

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
So I played around with the adjustment a bit. It really didn't seem to make any difference. I'm 1/2 turn backed off from the as purchased adjustment. It doesn't seem sloppy at all. Adjusting it back to the original position the allen screw would just gently stop so there was literally no play there. I'm not sure that was the issue though as it was still fairly stiff right off center anyway and seemed to be about the same through the entire rotations left and right. Either way, it seems to be getting better. It's certainly livable but I would sure like some more boost while stationary. Adding the new GM valve into the pump didn't really seem to make any difference at all. The brake pedal has never felt better though so I'm pretty sure the previous new hydroboost not only had a leak, but it also never worked properly in the first place. I'm gonna just leave the box in the half-turn loose adjustment for now and drive it. I may snug it back up eventually. Just going to see how this plays out. Thanks for all of the advice, links, ideas, and assistance.

·
Registered
109 Posts
One other possibility is the lower ball joints running dry. I don't think the original GM parts had grease fittings, maybe you can get some grease in around the boots.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
One other possibility is the lower ball joints running dry. I don't think the original GM parts had grease fittings, maybe you can get some grease in around the boots.
I hope not!
Every single link, joint, and bushing in the entire front end was replaced (with the best Moog stuff, not OEM, but not super cheap garbage either) as part of this project. I had a couple of bad ball joints and things escalated from there! I'm feeling optimistic that the current status of everything will be just fine. I only wish I had some more boost at idle for parking spot duty. Some guys have drilled out that orifice but I'm not taking that PS pump off again if I can help it!

·
Registered
169 Posts
My cheap High End Autozone Booster that was purchased in October of 2019 is now leaking all over my driveway. From day one I had a feeling this new Booster was not working. After installation and not happy with my Brake Pedal Position, I replaced the Master Cylinder, Power Steering Pump, Hoses, Brake Line, Rear Calipers/Rotors/Pads, Front Pads, Bleed the brake lines 17 ways under the sun, bleed the Power Steering 6 ways under the sun and on my way home from a 1200 mile trip towing my 5er, the pedal is back to hitting the floor. Power steering has gotten better but braking power not so much. SO!, last night I pulled the Crappy Autozone unit returned it got all my money including core charge (nearly $280) and ordered the AC Delco (2011 Upgrade) one from DMax (Rock Auto was out of stock) Store. Same price as Autozone including shipping. Sad, first one lasted 15-years and 142K miles. Second one only 10-Months and 3K miles. nearly $3k of pain and agony and really it comes down to just a $220 Booster. This original one gave me a DIC to Service Brake Booster, This one the DIC never came on, no warnings. This is very frustrating!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Hope you get a good one this time. The 3rd hydroboost I got from Pep Boys has put my brake pedal into perfect feel and position again. The 2nd power steering pump seems to be working well now. The steering was pretty good after I put it on but the brake problems were driving me nuts. I took it off to swap out the little valve thing on the back and that's when I discovered the 2nd hydroboost was leaking so that one got replaced. Frustrating is the word but buying brand new parts from the Chevrolet dealer is just not something that makes any financial sense to me as they're 3, 4, even 8 times the price! Maybe there's a reason for that . . .

·
Registered
109 Posts
Biggar if that's your actual portrait, we're twins from another mother.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
That's me, although I think the pic might be eight or ten years old. I'm 58 now. Not sure but I don't look much different now. I smoke a few less cigars than I used to.

·
Registered
169 Posts
My cheap High End Autozone Booster that was purchased in October of 2019 is now leaking all over my driveway. From day one I had a feeling this new Booster was not working. After installation and not happy with my Brake Pedal Position, I replaced the Master Cylinder, Power Steering Pump, Hoses, Brake Line, Rear Calipers/Rotors/Pads, Front Pads, Bleed the brake lines 17 ways under the sun, bleed the Power Steering 6 ways under the sun and on my way home from a 1200 mile trip towing my 5er, the pedal is back to hitting the floor. Power steering has gotten better but braking power not so much. SO!, last night I pulled the Crappy Autozone unit returned it got all my money including core charge (nearly $280) and ordered the AC Delco (2011 Upgrade) one from DMax (Rock Auto was out of stock) Store. Same price as Autozone including shipping. Sad, first one lasted 15-years and 142K miles. Second one only 10-Months and 3K miles. nearly $3k of pain and agony and really it comes down to just a $220 Booster. This original one gave me a DIC to Service Brake Booster, This one the DIC never came on, no warnings. This is very frustrating!
Omg, installed upgraded 2011 Booster. Did the bleeding procedure (steering wheel lock left to right 25 times with brake pedal push several times) and pedal felt great. Start engine and pedal goes the the floor again. Turn engine off, do the bleed procedure again and this time my son says "ahhh Dad!". GD steering box is now spewing fluid. When is the bleeding going to stop. This will be the last component left in my Money Pit brake problems.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Update, installed new steering box. Don't understand what happened, but my problems have somewhat disappeared. What a terrible roller coaster I've been on for last 10 months. Steering is tight and brakes are working better than ever.

·
Administrator
16,326 Posts
Update, installed new steering box. Don't understand what happened, but my problems have somewhat disappeared. What a terrible roller coaster I've been on for last 10 months. Steering is tight and brakes are working better than ever.
Glad your issue is resolved.
Thanks for giving us an update!

(y)

21 - 40 of 41 Posts