Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just replaced all of these at once (along with steering gear and all suspension and steering links, joints, and bushings. I bled the air out of the system as detailed in one of the threads here. I had the interior and dash out at the time for another project so I did not drive the truck. I just filled the system and bled it. It seemed to go left and right nicely without binding or difficulty. Brake pedal felt good as well.
A month later I get interior work completed and start the truck up again. Steering is no longer power assisted to say the least. I did as some other threads suggested and put the front back up on jackstands, revved engine to high RPM and manipulated wheel left and right, also pushed brake pedal to the floor a few times. Seemed to work again. Not sure why. Put it back on the ground and took it for a short drive and back to the drawing board. Still occasionally very difficult to turn wheel. Also no power assist to brakes when that happens. A big rev of the engine will get things working again. Sometimes for a second or two, other times for slightly longer. All parts are under a warranty, but not my labor and I hate to put new parts
on and find out it was not what I needed. Any ideas what could be going wrong here? Bad pump? Pump does seem to do something so ? ? ? Zero bubbles in fluid. Bad Hydoboost?

·
Premium Member
17,862 Posts
Sticking flow control valve on the back of the PS pump.
Usually comes with the pump. Easily changed without changing whole pump, but, if it's a recent pump, exchange it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Going to replace the pump tomorrow.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would replacing the flow control valve be easier than swapping out the pump? And how would I know which flow control valve to put in there ?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, replaced the hydroboost again last night with no improvement. Replaced pump today and have a very slight improvement but still highly dangerous and random power steering and brakes. I'm just about to light this truck on fire. Is there anything in the new steering gear, a valve or anything that could cause this? I did check the opening in the flow control valve and it was right at 5/32nds which is what it should be stock. I never had trouble with my stock pump. Should have just kept it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No foam, no noise, no bubbles. Fluid is fairly still. I'll go through the full bleeding procedure one more time and see what happens. If that doesn't work I'm going to look into aftermarket pressure valves or something. To say I'm frustrated is the understatement of the year.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seems to be slowly sorting itself out. Steering seems much better. Still a bit under-boosted when idling at a standstill, and brake pedal seems a little low, but it hasn't surprised me with zero brake boost and zero power steering all of the sudden for awhile now. I did some careful re-bleeding of the system. Front end up, brake pump slowly 8-10 times and then full left and full right a few times, rinse, repeat. So far so good.

·
Administrator
15,963 Posts
Seems to be slowly sorting itself out. Steering seems much better. Still a bit under-boosted when idling at a standstill, and brake pedal seems a little low, but it hasn't surprised me with zero brake boost and zero power steering all of the sudden for awhile now. I did some careful re-bleeding of the system. Front end up, brake pump slowly 8-10 times and then full left and full right a few times, rinse, repeat. So far so good.
Great news, so far!

(y)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts